2018 ESA Governance Review
Creating Opportunities for the Future
Would you like to play a role in shaping the future of the Entomological Society of America? If so, get ready.
ESA President Michael Parrella, Ph.D., discusses the value of a governance structure that engages all members of ESA in the future of the Society.
In 2018, ESA will embark on a full-scale review of its governance structure. The goal: to identify improvements to ESA policies, procedures, and bylaws that will strengthen the entomological profession and enable ESA to better meet the needs of today's entomologists in three specific, member-identified ways:
- A more nimble, responsive ESA. Agility in governance and in planning will allow ESA to adapt to a more rapidly changing world.
- A more inclusive ESA. Further commitment to inclusiveness and engagement will maximize opportunities for all members to participate in the Society.
- A more career-supportive ESA. In-depth career development opportunities will recruit and foster future leaders of the entomological discipline and of the Society.
How can you be involved? The ESA governance review will be an open process: Members will have many opportunities to review and weigh in from start to finish. Plan to participate in one or more of the following opportunities in 2018 (dates and times to be announced):
- Open "town hall" forums during the Eastern, North Central, Pacific, Southeastern, and Southwestern Branch meetings.
- Q&A sessions on the new ESA Community discussion forum.
- A video Q&A that will collect and answer questions via social media and the ESA Community forum.
Bookmark this page and watch your inbox for eNews and other announcements to follow along as further details are announced throughout the year.
Progress and Updates
- November 2017: ESA Governing Board votes to form a Governance Review Task Force, with members to be appointed in December 2017.
About ESA Governance
ESA's governance structure determines how the Society makes decisions and how leaders within the Society are identified and selected. To fulfill its strategic principles, ESA must ensure that its governance system provides opportunities for all members, has a global perspective, and supports ESA's work to increase its influence. Find more details at the links below:
ESA Governance Structure
ESA Governing Documents