Science Policy Documents
ESA Position Statements
The profession of entomology is increasingly important to the welfare and progress of human society. Professional entomologists have the position and authority to render effective service to humanity, in keeping with high standards of ethical conduct. To advance and maintain the honor and dignity of the profession, the Entomological Society of America has authored and established positions on a wide range of subjects. After first publishing here on the ESA website, position statements will publish in the ESA Journal, Annals of the Entomological Society of America. They remain valid policy of the Entomological Society of America for four years after their initial publishing date unless renewed or retired by the ESA Governing Board:
Click through to read the ESA Position Statements on the following topics:
- Arthropod Biodiversity (October 19, 2017). To be published in Annals at a later date.
- Endangered Insect Species (June 22, 2017). Published in Annals on Sept 6, 2017.
- Insecticide Resistance Management (June 29, 2016). Published in Annals on Sept 6, 2017.
- Insecticide Resistance Management in Genetically-modified Crops (June 29, 2016). Published in Annals on Sept 6, 2017.
- Invasive Species (April 21, 2016). Published in Annals on Sept 6, 2017.
- Entomological Collections (January 11, 2016). Published in Annals on June 30, 2017.
- Tick-borne Diseases (July 29, 2015). Published in Annals on June 30, 2017.
- Pollinator Health (July 24, 2015). Published in Annals on June 30, 2017.
- Retired ESA position statements that are no longer active may be found here.
- The Governing Board has approved a new position statement on the importance of science communication. Volunteers for the writing committee and member comments on the subject are currently being sought.
The resources below are designed to be informative documents that can explain a topic of interest on an entomological topic. If you have an additional topic that you would like to see the Science Policy Committee address, please use our comments form to make that request.
- Modern mosquito management techniques (September 25, 2017)
- Screwworm fact sheet (November 28, 2016)
- IPM-based mosquito management fact sheet (September 6, 2016)
- Fact sheet on Zika and the Aedes aegypti mosquito (February 22, 2016)
Similar to a fact sheet, the resources below are designed to be informative documents that can explain a topic of interest on an entomological topic but do not advocate for a specific opinion. If you have a topic that you think would make a good fact sheet, please use our comments form to make the request.