Scientist - Entomology
The World Vegetable Center is a non-profit, autonomous international agricultural research center with headquarters in Taiwan and regional offices around the globe. WorldVeg conducts research and development programs that contribute to improved incomes and diets in the developing world through increased production and consumption of safe vegetables. For more information on World Vegetable Center, please visit our website: www.avrdc.org.
WorldVeg seeks a Scientist to join its on-going research on developing economical, environmentally safe and sustainable pest management strategies for improving vegetable production. The position will be based at WorldVeg’s Headquarters in Shanhua, Tainan, Taiwan.
WorldVeg’s headquarters has good facilities for biological research. Biochemical as well chemical ecology research facilities are being modernized. Specialized services such as GC-MS, LC-MS and NMR for identification of natural products are also available from local institutions for Center’s research.
- Carry out research and development activities in classical host plant resistance to insect and mite pests, chemical ecology, biological control including bio-pesticides, chemical ecology and molecular approaches in pest management.
- Assist the Entomology team to implement integrated pest management (IPM) programs in tropical Asia and sub-Saharan Africa.
- Supervise or co-supervise undergraduate and graduate students for their thesis research at headquarters as well as regional offices.
- Enhance the capacity of partners in developing and promoting IPM.
- Actively contribute to the preparation of grant proposals, project reports and manuscripts for publication in refereed journals, reviewed conference proceedings, and technical bulletins.
- Collaborate with plant breeders, plant pathology, biotechnology, genetic resources and other related disciplines at the Center and institutes within and outside Taiwan.
- Engage in such other relevant project activities as determined by the Lead Entomologist.
- PhD degree in entomology, or plant protection with 3 – 5 years of research experience in entomology as a postdoc/scientist.
- A solid background in the discipline of entomology and/or plant protection as demonstrated by excellence in a wide range of courses taken during the graduate studies.
- Expertise in insect rearing and ethology, biological control, molecular entomology, and modern biotech approaches such as marker technologies, using biological databases, nucleic acids and protein sequence analyses, etc.
- Experience in the use of statistical and population genetic analysis software programs will be an advantage.
- Demonstrated ability in writing proposals, project management and publish in peer-reviewed journals is desired.
- Fluency in spoken and written English and good communication skills are essential.
- Must be able to work as a member of interdisciplinary teams in a multicultural and multinational environment and should be able to interact effectively with partners.
- Willing to travel extensively for project related activities.
This is an Internationally Recruited Staff position with competitive pay and benefits. The initial appointment is for three years and may be extended depending on requirement, funding availability, and performance of the incumbent.
How to Apply:
Submit a letter of application with curriculum vitae, a recent passport size photograph and names and addresses (including telephone/fax/e-mail) of three referees by e-mail to email@example.com.