Integrated Pest Management Team Award
Presented by the Plant-Insect Ecosystems Section (P-IE), Dow AgroSciences' Integrated Pest Management Team Award recognizes the successful efforts of a small collaborative team approach to pest control. The award, consisting of an inscribed statue, is presented at the P-IE Networking Meeting held during the ESA Annual Meeting.
A team is defined as having no more than 10 members and must include one entomologist from the private sector and one from the public sector. The focus of the award is teamwork and project success, and the subject matter should align to the Plant-Insect Ecosystems Section. (click link)
Please click here to see a list of those who have previously received this award.
Electronic Submission Requirements
All nomination packages must be submitted electronically according to the following specifications (paper nominations will not be accepted):
- The entire nomination package must not exceed 25 pages. This includes letters of nomination or recommendation and publication lists.
- Letters of nomination and recommendation must be included in the electronic package. Printed letters sent in lieu of electronic versions will not be accepted.
- Only the following file formats will be accepted: PDF (Adobe Portable Document Format), RTF (Rich Text Format), TIF graphic files, or JPG graphic files. Files created on either PC or MAC platforms will be accepted. Please make sure scanned images can be clearly read on a computer screen.
- Font size for text may not be smaller than 10 point.
- A nomination package may contain no more than 6 separate files, and the size of each file must not exceed 3 MB. It is preferable to incorporate all documents into one file.
E-mail the nomination package as attached files to the P-IE Awards Chair, Bonnie Pendleton (email@example.com). The P-IE Awards Chair will reply back to the nominator confirming receipt of materials within two business days. In the submission e-mail, please include the title of the award in the subject of the e-mail. In the body of the e-mail, provide the name of the nominee, the nominator's contact information, and a list of the attached files.
Nominations may be made by anyone. Nomination packages for this award must include:
Nominators must provide within the CV ‘Background Information’ and ‘Research’ sections containing the following information.
Background Information of Each Team Member
- Nominee's/Applicant's Name
- Contact Information: Provide nominee's or applicant's mailing address, e-mail address and telephone number.
- Affiliation: Place of work, study or other appropriate affiliation.
- Current Professional or Academic Title
- Appointment Split: For academic positions, list percentage of appointment dedicated to all relevant categories (e.g., research, teaching, extension and administration).
- Educational Background: List degrees, institutions, and years received.
- Relevant Employment: Include employer, location, nominee's title, and years of employment.
- Memberships and Affiliations: Relevant professional memberships and additional affiliations such as adjunct faculty status.
- Awards and Honors: Title of relevant award or honor, bestowing institution, and year bestowed. Please exclude grants or contracts here. Significant elected positions also may be listed here.
- Contribution to the Team: Short description (no more than 2-3 sentences) on the individual’s contribution.
Research Related to the Team’s Project
- Research Publications: Include refereed publications, review articles, books written or edited, book chapters, technical reports, and appropriate non-refereed publications.
- Research Support: If applicable, list grants, gifts, and contracts. Include project titles, sources of funds, amounts, years and nominee's roles as principal investigator (e.g. primary, secondary, minor, etc.).
- Numbers of Graduate Students and Postdoctoral Associates Educated: (For nominees with academic appointments) Please do not provide students’ names. Numbers of students may be distinguished by Master's, doctoral and postdoctoral.
- Research Talks and Posters Presented: List invited presentations, including seminars and symposia, and submitted presentations, including professional meetings and conferences.
- Patents: If available and applicable, provide relevant patent title, number, year, and any additional information.
- Letter of nomination that provides a brief explanation of how the team members excelled in performing their duties.
- Summary of the IPM project and its impact and success.
Nominees/candidates will be judged using the following criteria for a total of 110 points:
- Criteria (80 points total)
- Clearly uses expertise from public and private sectors (10)
- Strength of collaboration (10)
- Recentness of accomplishment (last 4 years) (10)
- Directly related to IPM and aligned to the Plant-Insect Ecosystems Section (10)
- Quality of research (10)
- Originality of research (10)
- Recommendations from colleagues, peer groups, etc. (10)
- Interpretation of results (10)
- Impact of research findings (select one, up to 30 points total)
- Minor (1)
- Moderate (5)
- Important (10)
- Great (20)
- Outstanding (30)
Application/nomination packages must be received by the awards chair by July 1. This deadline requires receipt of a complete package in a readable format. Therefore, early submission is recommended. The awards chair will confirm receipt and also notify nominators of any problems with nomination packages within two business days.
Any candidate/team nominated, but not selected, may be renominated as many as two times within the two-year period after the initial submission. Nominators must resubmit packages to the P-IE Awards Chair via email as described.
The awards chair will notify all candidates and their nominators, where applicable, with the results of their application approximately two months after the application/nomination submission deadline.
For questions about this award, please email the P-IE Awards Chair, Bonnie Pendleton (firstname.lastname@example.org)