SEB Distinguished Achievement Award in Urban Entomology
This award recognizes and encourages outstanding extension, research, and teaching contributions in urban entomology. The award will be presented at the ESA-SEB Annual Meeting. The recipient is expected to be present at this meeting to receive the award.
Eligibility: The nominee must be a current ESA-SEB member and have contributed significantly to urban entomology, the study and control of arthropods found in the home or surrounding landscape, including those that are wood destroying and pests of structures, ornamental plants, shade trees and turf. A recipient of a widely recognized urban entomology award will not be eligible unless the accomplishments cited as the basis for nomination represents new work. Previous recipients of this award are not eligible. Re-nomination of unsuccessful candidates is encouraged.
Nominations: Nominations for this award may be made by any ESA-SEB member or unit administrator in the SEB region. Members of the Awards Committee are not eligible to nominate candidates or receive this award during their terms.
Award Nomination Information: Nominations must be accompanied by the following information:
- Cover page with the year and name, address, telephone number and email address of nominee
- Letter of nomination
- Academic record, including degrees, dates and institutions
- Brief description of employment and professional experience in urban entomology
- Statement of urban entomology accomplishments on which the nomination is based, includingdemonstrated excellence in the study and management of pests that infest structures, destroy wood, and damage ornamental plants and landscapes
- Assessment of the nominee's accomplishments emphasizing work during the preceding 10-year period to be recognized by the award
- Professional activities during past 10 years, including offices and memberships in professional societies
- List of publications, patents and urban entomology materials during past 10 years
- List of scholarly presentations during past 10 years
- Related information, includingawards and other recognition
- Additional supporting information, including no more than three letters of recommendationfrom professional colleagues and clientele
Evaluation Criteria: Nominees/candidates will be judged using the following criteria for a total of 100 points:
1.Candidate (60 total)
- Leadership and participation in professional activities (10)
- Honors, awards, achievements and recognition (7)
- Special assignments and committee activities (10)
- Service outside of extension, including community activities (7)
- Grantsmanship (8)
- Recommendation from colleagues, peer groups, etc. (8)
- Publications (10)
2.Program (40 total)
- Creativity and innovation of program's concept (8)
- Development and educational strategy (8)
- Implementation, including publications (8)
- Diversity of program's delivery (8)
- Evidence of program's impact (8)
Deadline for Nomination Submissions: The ESA SEB Members Award Chair must receive nomination packages by January 30. This deadline refers to receipt of a complete package in a readable format. Therefore, early submission is highly recommended. All submissions must be placed through the Southeastern Branch Award submission site.
Renomination: Any candidate nominated, but not selected, may be renominated no more than two times within the two-year period after his/her initial submission. Renomination packages will be retained for two years by the awards administrator. Nominators must send a letter of renomination to the awards administrator by the award deadline above. Previously submitted documentation will be used for the evaluation process unless the nominator submits new or updated documents. The renomination e-mail must contain this additional documentation. New or updated documents must follow the electronic submission requirements noted above.
Timeline of Notification: The awards administrator will notify all candidates and their nominators with the results of their nomination approximately two months after the nomination submission deadline.
Questions: Email Ryan Kurtz
1990 R. D. Oetting GA, Griffin
1991 C. G. Wright NC, Raleigh
1992 R. S. Patterson FL, Gainesville
1993 A. G. Appel AL, Auburn
1994 H. L. Collins MS, Gulfport.
1995 [Candidate from 1994 resubmitted to synchronize SEB with National Society]
1996 A. G. Appel AL, Auburn
1997 [No award presented]
1998 D. Williams FL, Gainesville
1999 C. Schal NC, Raleigh
2000 [No award presented]
2001 Nan-Yao Su FL, Ft. Lauderdale
2002 R. L. Brandenburg NC, Raleigh
2003-04 [No award presented]
2005 E. P. Benson SC, Clemson
2006 E. Vargo NC, Raleigh
2007 R. H. Scheffrahn FL, Ft. Lauderdale
2008 A. G. Appel AL, Auburn
2009 E. Thoms FL, Gainesville
2010 D. Suiter GA, Griffin
2011 C. Husseneder LA, Baton Rouge; B. T. Forschler GA, Athens
2012 G. R. Henderson LA, Baton Rouge
2013 J. Silverman NC, Raleigh