SEB Distinguished Service Award to the Certification Program
This award recognizes and encourages outstanding contributions to the ESA Certification Program and professionalism of entomology. The award will be presented at the ESA-SEB Annual Meeting. The recipient is expected to be present at this meeting to receive the award.
Eligibility. The nominee must be a current ESA-SEB member and have contributed significantly to the ESA Certification Program and professionalism of entomology. Nominees are required to be Board or Associate Certified Entomologists. Previous recipients of this award are not eligible. Re-nomination of unsuccessful candidates is encouraged.
Nominations. Nominations for this award may be made by any ESA-SEB member or unit administrator in the SEB region. Members of the Awards Committee are not eligible to nominate candidates or receive this award during their terms.
Award Nomination Information. Nominations must be accompanied by the following information:
- Cover page with the year and name, address, telephone number and email address of nominee
- Letter of nomination
- Academic record, including degrees, dates and institutions
- Brief description of employment and professional experience in entomology
- Statement of accomplishments on which the nomination is based, includingcontributions to the ESA Certification Program and professionalism of entomology
- Assessment of the nominee's accomplishments emphasizing work during the preceding 10-year period to be recognized by the award
- Professional activities during past 10 years, including offices and memberships in professional societies
- List of publications, patents and other entomology materials during past 10 years
- List of scholarly presentations during past 10 years
- Related information, includingawards and other recognition
- Additional supporting information, including no more than three letters of recommendationfrom professional colleagues
Evaluation Criteria: Nominees/candidates will be judged using the following criteria for a total of 100 points:
1.Professional Activities (40 points total)
- Consulting (10)
- Research (10)
- Public service (10)
- Teaching and/or training (10)
2.Certification Activities (45 points total)
- Enrollment in BCE program (confirmed by ESA HQ) (12)
- Leadership roles held (12)
- Committee activities (12)
- Other or special assignments (9)
3.Supporting Information (15 points total)
- Awards, honors, and achievements (2)
- Mentor to professionals (6)
- Professional memberships (5)
- Quality and number of publications (2)
Deadline for Nomination Submissions: The ESA SEB Members Award Chair must receive nomination packages by January 30. This deadline refers to receipt of a complete package in a readable format. Therefore, early submission is highly recommended. All submissions must be placed through the Southeastern Branch Award submission site.
Renomination: Any candidate nominated, but not selected, may be renominated no more than two times within the two-year period after his/her initial submission. Nomination packages will be retained for two years by the awards administrator. Nominators must send a letter of renomination to the awards administrator by the nomination deadline above. Previously submitted documentation will be used for the evaluation process unless the nominator submits new or updated documents. The renomination e-mail must contain this additional documentation. New or updated documents must follow the electronic submission requirements noted above.
Timeline of Notification: The awards administrator will notify all candidates and their nominators with the results of their nomination approximately two months after the nomination submission deadline.
Questions: Email Ryan Kurtz