Systematics, Evolution, and Biodiversity (SysEB) Thomas Say Award
This award acknowledges significant and outstanding work in the fields of insect systematics, morphology, or evolution. "Insect" is defined here to include insect allies. This award consists of a plaque and cash award based on the interest earned from the Thomas Say Award endowment. The recipient is presented with the award at the SysEB Section Meeting (at the ESA Annual Meeting).
This award was previously the ESA Thomas Say Award. Starting in 2018 this award requires that you are a SysEB Member.
Please select below to find out more on the award:
- The nomination is based on a single published work by the nominee (either as sole or first-author) considered to be significant and outstanding in one or more of the fields of insect systematics, morphology, or evolution.
- The work being nominated must have been published a minimum of two years prior to the date of nomination.
- At least one of the following two criteria must be met:
- The nominee is based at a US or Canadian institution, or
- The work on which the nomination is based is focused on Nearctic and/or Neotropical insects and allies
- Previous recipients of the Thomas Say Award are not eligible.
Submit a Nominee-
All nomination packages must be submitted electronically to the Systematics, Evolution, and Biodiversity Award Nomination Website according to the following specifications:
- Page Limits – The entire nomination package must not exceed 20 pages total. This include letters of nomination and evaluation, and publication lists but not the work itself. Packages over 20 pages will not be considered.
- Letters of nomination must be included in the electronic package, letter of recommendation may be included in the package or submitted *anonymously via e-mail electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Printed letters will not be accepted.
- Only the following file formats will be accepted: PDF (Adobe Portable Document Format), RTF (Rich Text Format), TIF graphic files, or JPG graphic files. Files created on either PC or Mac platforms will be accepted. Please make sure scanned images can be clearly read on a computer screen.
Nomination Requirements -
Nominations may be submitted by any member of the society. Self-nominations are allowed, but no nominee may self-nominate for more than one work per year. Nominations packages for this award must include:
- CV-Related Items - Nominators must provide a CV which includes the following sections. For a full listing of what should be included in each of the sections click here.
- Section 1 - Background Information
- Section 2 - Research
- Other Items -
- Letter of nomination
- Digital (PDF) copy of the work. For works that were initially only issued in hard-copy, a scanned copy may be submitted.
- The Submitted Published Work (30 points total)
- The work is well-presented (10)
- Provides thoughtful and significant insights to the field (10)
- Originality of work (10)
- Impact of Published Work (select one, maximum of 30 points)
- Minor (5)
- Moderate (10)
- Important (20)
- Outstanding (30)
Nomination packages must be received by ESA headquarters by June 1. This deadline refers to receipt by the awards administrator of a complete package in a readable format. Therefore, early submission is highly recommended. Nomination packets will not be able to be changed after June 1.
Nominations of a particular work that are initially unsuccessful will be held, considered, and re-scored automatically with no need for re-nomination for two years subsequent to the initial nomination year. The originally submitted documentation will be used for the evaluation process unless the nominator submits new or updated documents.