Applied Research Associate II, Entomology (position located in Michoacan/Jalisco - MX)
About the role
The Applied Research Associate II, Entomology role will be responsible for generating improvements in the performance (profitability/performance/quality) of our four crops through research and development of innovative concepts surrounding integrated pest management in Mexico, as well as ensuring the proper functioning of plant health practices.
Driscoll’s is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll’s is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of passion, humility, and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll’s exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners. Driscoll’s is the trusted brand for Only the Finest Berries ™. For more information, please visit our website at www.driscolls.com.
• Coordinate the execution and monitoring of special treatments of pest management assessments, established in test plots and laboratory by coordinating with R&D, Farming and AR departments.
• Support in defining phytosanitary strategies for the correct integrated management of pests in nurseries and test plots by coordinating with the Nursery and Farming department.
• Coordinate implementation and follow-up to special treatments in pest management assessments established in commercial fields by coordinating with PC Agronomy and Cooperating Producers.
• Attend to the routes of AI projects in test plots and in commercial fields with internal and external groups (Producers), and provide progress updates.
• Collect, analyze and synthesize data and information regarding laboratory evaluations, test plots and commercial fields.
• Participate in the definition of research priorities and experimental designs for the establishment of pest management assessments in laboratory, test plots and commercial fields.
• Organize and present information on pest management to large groups including trainings, workshops, conferences, technical meetings, etc. and with the participation of audiences and internal/external speakers.
• Participate in interdepartmental working groups (PC Technical Group), and dramatically diagnose and solve complex phytosanitary problems in commercial fields in support of the area of Agronomy.
• Master’s degree or PhD in Agronomy, Biotechnology, Biology, Horticulture, Phytotechnics, or related discipline.
• 0-2 years’ experience within Entomology, Parasitology, Plant Health, Crop Protection, Agricultural Research or Integrated Pest Management.
• Strong oral and written communication skills and interrelationship capability at different levels required.
• English speaking, reading, writing skills – Intermediate level or above.
• Intermediate level or above utilizing Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.).
• Advanced proficiency with statistical packages such as SAS, JMP, etc.
• Intermediate level or above skill set within experimental design and scientific writing.
• Advanced proficiency analyzing, synthesizing, chemical and biological pest control, and insect taxonomy.
• Experience with process planning and management capability.