Associate Director and Coordinator, Pesticide Safety and Environmental Education (PSEE)
Working Title: Associate Director and Coordinator, Pesticide Safety and Environmental Education (PSEE)
Appointment: Admin Consultant/Analyst 2 (9341A2), Professional and Administrative, Full-time
Location: University of Minnesota, St. Paul campus
Program Area: Extension Center for Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources (AFNR)
Reports To: Dean, University of Minnesota Extension (or delegate)
Application Review: March 10, 2019 initial deadline; Open until filled
The University of Minnesota Extension is the major outreach arm of the University of Minnesota, a land grant institution with a mission to serve the public through applied research and education. The mission of the University of Minnesota Extension is making a difference by connecting community needs and University resources to address critical issues in Minnesota. https://extension.umn.edu/
ABOUT THIS POSITION
As a senior manager of the Pesticide Safety and Environmental Education (PSEE) program, this person is expected to work closely with the Extension administration to strategically integrate the program’s research, Extension, and education activities. Key roles of the position include:
- Providing strategic direction for the PSEE program
- Managing PSEE’s operations, budgets and staff
- Integrating programming with PSEE coordinators and Extension faculty.
The PSEE program provides statewide education and leadership for pesticide-related topics of safety, health, security and environmental protection using integrated pest management and occupational safety frameworks with substantial economic and quality of life impacts. The PSEE program provides education for Minnesota’s 17,000 certified farmers and other agricultural producers through its Private Pesticide Applicator Training program (PPAT).
The PSEE program is seeking a person capable of working with staff and partners at the University of Minnesota and beyond to provide pesticide safety leadership. This person will also have experience in a discipline that builds on the technical foundation of the program, its staff, and partners. (See qualifications for more specifics.) This position reports to, and is accountable to, the dean (or delegate) of University of Minnesota Extension for program vision and goals, performance evaluation and personnel direction.
For more information on responsibilities and qualifications, see the PSEE Associate Director-Coordinator full job description.
1. Bachelor’s degree in:
- Environmental science;
- Pest management; or
- Related subject areas (agronomy, entomology, plant pathology, weed science, horticulture, forestry, or similar applied science field).
2. At least 8 years of professional or other work experience and/or educational specialization related to one or more of the following:
- Extension education or other forms of adult education;
- Educational program design;
- Production or pest management in natural resources, horticulture, or agriculture; or
- Occupational or environmental health and safety or related areas.
If candidate has an advanced degree, education may be substituted for experience.
3. Prior oversight of a small department or cross-disciplinary team.
4. Demonstrated educational leadership and project management skills and experience.
5. Experience managing budgets and staff.
6. Strong formal and interpersonal verbal, written, social media or other communication skills.
7. Experience working with stakeholders, faculty and external agencies, including those from culturally diverse backgrounds.
8. Proficient in routine computer and Internet skills (e.g., MS Office, Google Suite, content management systems, etc.)
9. Must be able to meet the travel requirements of the position. Travel includes overnight and multi-day trips to state, regional, and national trainings, meetings, and conferences.
Job Opening ID: 328736
Applications must be submitted online. Please apply at https://hr.myu.umn.edu/jobs/ext/328736
To be considered for this position, please click on the Apply button and follow the instructions. You will be given the opportunity to complete an online application for the position. Please include the following attachments with your online application:
- Cover letter
Three professional references and transcripts for all college work (unofficial transcripts are acceptable) may be required during the interview process.