This Entomological Foundation award assists needy students at the graduate or undergraduate level of their education in entomology and related disciplines at a college or university in the United States, Mexico, or Canada. The need is based on physical limitations or economic, minority, or environmental conditions. The award, the amount of which is based on the earnings from the investment, is presented at the ESA Annual Meeting.
This fellowship was established as a tribute to Stanley D. Beck, a notable scientist who pursued his profession despite the effects of a debilitating disease.
Applicants must be graduate or undergraduate students in entomology or related disciplines at colleges or universities in the United States, Mexico, or Canada. They should also have some sort of need, either based on physical limitations or economic, minority, or environmental conditions.
Please click here to see a list of those who have previously received this award.
Electronic Submission Requirements
All nomination packages must be submitted electronically according to the following specifications (paper nominations will not be accepted):
- The entire nomination package must not exceed 20 pages total. This includes letters of nomination or recommendation and publication lists.
- Letters of nomination and recommendation must be included in the electronic package. Printed letters sent in lieu of electronic versions will not be accepted.
- Only the following file formats will be accepted: PDF (Adobe Portable Document Format), RTF (Rich Text Format), TIF graphic files, or JPG graphic files. Files created on either PC or MAC platforms will be accepted. Please make sure scanned images can be clearly read on a computer screen.
- Font size for text may not be smaller than 10 point.
- A nomination package may contain no more than 6 separate files, and the size of each file must not exceed 3 MB.
Nomination packages may be submitted by either of two methods:
- PREFERRED METHOD: Submit online via the Nomination Submission Website. This method eliminates problems associated with e-mailing large files. Nominators are strongly encouraged to use this method.
- E-mail the nomination package as attached files to the awards administrator. In the submission e-mail, please include the title of the award in the subject of the e-mail. In the body of the e-mail, provide the name of the nominee, the nominator's contact information, and a list of the attached files.
Applications may be submitted by anyone. Application packages for this award must include:
Nominators must provide the information called for in the CV template, either in the template's format or in their own format. To view the CV-related nomination requirements for this award, as well as the CV template, please click here.
- Letter of nomination
- Description of applicant's academic studies including academic plans for the coming school year
- Current official college transcripts (mail to: Entomological Foundation, 4510 Regent Street Madison, WI 53705)
- Brief statement of no more than two pages of the applicant's need or challenge
- Letter of recommendation from the applicant's academic advisor
- Two letters of support demonstrating the applicant's need or challenge
Nominees/candidates will be judged using the following criteria for a total of 60 points:
- A graduate or undergraduate student majoring in entomology or related discipline at a college or university in the United States, Canada or Mexico (10)
- Have need based on physical limitation, economic, minority or environmental condition (10)
- Recommendation of professors, advisors, etc. (10)
- Enthusiasm, interest and achievement in entomology or related disciplines (10)
- Notable academic plans (10)
- Impact of need (10)
Application/nomination packages must be received by the awards administrator by July 1. This deadline refers to receipt of a complete package in a readable format. Therefore, early submission is highly recommended. The awards administrator will confirm receipt of nomination packages within two business days, and also notify nominators of any problems with nomination package files within that time.
Any candidate nominated, but not selected, may be renominated no more than two times within the two-year period after his/her initial submission. Renomination packages will be retained for two years by the awards administrator. Nominators must send a letter of renomination to the awards administratorby the award deadline above. Previously submitted documentation will be used for the evaluation process unless the nominator submits new or updated documents. The renomination e-mail must contain this additional documentation. New or updated documents must follow the electronic submission requirements noted above.
The awards administrator will notify all candidates and their nominators, where applicable, with the results of their application approximately two months after the application/nomination submission deadline.
For questions about this award, please click here.