Student Certification Award
Sponsored by PestWest Environmental Science
Sponsored by PestWest Environmental Science, this award is presented annually to recognize and encourage outstanding entomology graduate students with interest in the mission of the ESA certification program, and to promote the understanding and importance of the program. The award consists of a $500 cash prize and an inscribed plaque. The awardee will be presented with the plaque during the ESA Annual Meeting.
For questions about this award, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Nomination packages must be received by ESA headquarters by June 1. This deadline refers to receipt by the awards administrator of a complete package in a readable format. Therefore, early submission is highly recommended. All nomination packets will not be able to be changed after June 1.
The nominee must be an ESA student member, who is pursuing an M.S. or Ph.D. degree in entomology at an accredited university in the United States.
Nominations may be made by anyone. Nomination packages for this award must include the following:
- CV-Related Items - Nominators must provide a CV which includes the below sections. For a full listing of what should be included in each of the sections click here.
- Section 1 - Background Information
- Section 2 - Research
- Section 5 - Service
- Other Items -
- A 2-3-page essay written by the applicant on the importance of the ESA certification program (applicants should use their own words, not text from the certification brochure)
- Up to three letters of recommendation from faculty members or other knowledgeable individuals
- Also, an official copy of the nominee's college transcript should be sent to and received by the awards administrator (mail to: Awards Administrator, Entomological Society of America, 3 Park Place, Suite 307, Annapolis, MD 21401-3722) by the nomination deadline. Transcripts do not count toward the 20-page limit
Nominees/candidates will be judged using the following criteria for a total of 100 points:
- Academics (40 points total)
- Academic record and accomplishments (20)
- Evaluation by faculty members or others (15)
- Contributions and/or service to academic department (5)
- Essay (50 points total)
- Definition of the certification program? (5)
- Benefits of the certification program (20)
- Future of the certification program (25)
- Service (10 points total)
1. Contributions to ESA, including the certification program at the Branch and/or national level (10)
The awards administrator will notify all candidates and their nominators with the results of their nomination approximately two months after the nomination submission deadline.
All nomination packages must be submitted electronically according to the following specifications:
- Only the following file formats will be accepted: PDF, TIF graphic files, or JPG graphic files. Please make sure scanned images can be clearly read on a computer screen.
- Font size for text may not be smaller than 10 point.
- The nomination site requires all documents to be uploaded individually.
Nomination packages must be submitted online via the Student Certification Award NOMINATION website
Any candidate nominated, but not selected, may be renominated no more than two times within the two-year period after his/her initial submission. Nomination packages will be retained for two years by the awards administrator. Nominators must send a letter of renomination to the awards administrator by the nomination deadline above. Previously submitted documentation will be used for the evaluation process unless the nominator submits new or updated documents. The renomination e-mail must contain this additional documentation. New or updated documents must follow the electronic submission requirements noted above.