Breeding Partnerships Lead
The primary responsibilities of this role, Breeding Partnerships Lead, are to:
- Responsible for project leadership in the Modern Breeding Project with the International Institute for Tropical Agriculture and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation;
- Responsible for creativity, novelty of outlook and vision towards enhancing shared goals with key stakeholders and mission objectives with an outcome to develop new project opportunities to modernize public plant breeding programs that impact zero hunger and zero poverty in developing countries;
- Identify challenges and opportunities for people development and drive technical and innovative solutions through formulation of new project objectives;
- Influence agricultural development and sustainability strategy by providing technical input to the planning and decision-making process;
- Keep abreast of new developments in key skill areas in international agricultural development, genetics and plant breeding and technology solutions for smallholder farmers and seek to introduce them into project programs to deliver higher level of impact and efficiencies;
- Own the design and implementation of project activities, providing guidance and ensuring validation of capacity building efforts by empowering and directing the efforts of Bayer full-time employees as skills-based volunteers aligned to program objectives, share responsibility in project leadership and people management and output with Head of Breeding leadership at IITA;
- Engage regularly with Bayer Global Leadership teams and external partners including NGOs, donor agencies and cross-cutting research priorities;
- Responsible for the analysis and documentation of program effectiveness and drive decision-making and impact assessment contributing to internal and external reporting guidelines and manage Bayer’s in-kind support in capacity building efforts and provide input on impact metrics to maximize development efforts.
WHO YOU ARE
Your success will be driven by your demonstration of our LIFE values. More specifically related to this position, Bayer seeks an incumbent who possesses the following:
- Bachelor's Degree with 12+ years relevant experience in one of the following agricultural science fields as Agribusiness, Agronomy, Animal Science Crop/Plant Science, Horticulture, Plant Breeding and Genetics, Plant Pathology, International Agricultural Development, Agricultural Engineering, Soil Science, Agro-Forestry, Agro-Ecology, Agricultural Extension or Agriculture and the Environment, including Climate Change OR Master's Degree with 10+ years of experience OR Ph.D. with 6+ years of experience;
- 3+ years of work experience in a developing country context or in a diverse working environment related to agricultural or rural development;
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively in cross-functional and cross-cultural teams to achieve common goals;
- Demonstrated experience leading and influencing activities of cross functional teams without direct reporting relationships;
- Experience building consensus and leading teams through influence while working with strict deadlines in a highly demanding and agile environment;
- Ability to travel independently up to 25% (domestic and international) with overnight stays and extended assignments.
Domestic relocation may be available for this role.
Sponsorship may be offered for this role.