Entomology Research Leader
Florida Ag Research, a widely respected agricultural research company, is seeking an enthusiastic team member to manage a diverse portfolio of entomological research with tropical and subtropical crops in Central Florida.
A successful candidate will join our interdisciplinary program focused on scientific investigations in crop protection, sustainable farming methods, and development of new agricultural products for a diverse and well established client base. This position is an agriculturally oriented, career track opportunity for a scientist with high scientific standards and commitment to developing new farming technologies for the future. Candidates with field research experience and scientific staff management will be given preference.
- Lead the company’s Southeast entomology research program on and off company owned field stations.
- Manage an active insect bio-assay system for early stage new product characterization, as well as resistance monitoring of field populations with established products.
- Collaborate with other program managers and staff to maintain a leading position in agricultural technology development in Florida and the greater Caribbean.
- Routine duties include the conduct of multiple lab, greenhouse, and field trials from protocol development, through data collection and reporting of results.
- Maintenance and growth of insectary rearing facility with urban and agriculturally important pests.
- Crops include fall, winter, and spring vegetables, small fruit, melons, citrus, greenhouse, and turf crops of the Southeast US.
- The Entomology Research Leader will direct and assist with data collection, review of trial research, and provide punctual interpretation of results to clients in technical reports.
- Candidate will also manage technical support staff time and materials for all entomology related activities and provide positive and enthusiastic leadership in the entomology research group overall.
- Duties also include planning experimental field plantings with farming staff and to scheduling of all activities with entomology experiments located on and off company managed stations.
- The Entomology Leader will attend regional professional meetings and maintain all necessary research licensing required for the state of Florida.
- The Entomology leader will stay abreast of research developments in the industry and update test system methodologies to maintain high standards in research as well as chemical handling and overall regulatory compliance.
- The Entomology Leader must work directly with customers on protocol development, trial establishment, trial conduct and reporting to assure that any and all project objectives of the research sponsor are met.
- PhD in entomology, or related disciplines with entomological research experience.
- Must have basic working knowledge of experiment design, statistics, and field trial management.
- Must have routinely handled/applied crop protectants safely and in accordance with regulatory guidelines.
- Must have the ability to work independently and as a contributing member of a multidisciplinary research team.
- Must have solid verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be able to work in field, greenhouse, and lab environments.
- Must be able to do physical work required to establish and maintain research plots, including lifting, stooping, and walking in open field conditions during warm daytime temperatures.
- Must be open to overtime schedules during peak season.
- Must have computer skills: MS-Word, Excel, PowerPoint. Statistical or research management software helpful
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and FL Pesticide Applicators License (within 6 months of hire).
Salary: $70-110K depending on education and experience related to field, greenhouse, and laboratory entomology
Benefits: Company offers Medical and Dental Insurance, paid vacation and sick leave, 401K and Profit Sharing, paid travel for professional training and meetings, and other benefits.
In addition to a resume, please provide a cover letter to Mark Keeley, Station Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org