ESA Member and Author Support Specialist
The Entomological Society of America is recruiting for a Member and Author Support Specialist to join our team to support the ESA’s members, volunteers, and authors and provide general office assistance. This individual will serve as the “face” of ESA for many members and customers, so an excellent customer service attitude and enthusiastic support for member and customer needs is paramount.
This position reports to the Director of Publications and Communications and provides general support for ESA’s members, including assistance with questions regarding membership, joining and renewing membership in ESA, and access to ESA’s website, general questions about meetings, and other member benefits and services. The Member and Author Support Specialist also answers questions from ESA’s journal authors, reviewers, and editors regarding journal guidelines, pricing, policies, and processes; provides support for ESA’s online manuscript submission system; performs routine quality assurance checks on incoming articles submitted to ESA’s journals; and produces bimonthly, monthly, and annual reports for ESA’s publishing program through our online manuscript submission system and other sources of data. This position will, in conjunction with ESA volunteers, facilitate the ESA webinar series using an online tool.
In addition, this position serves as the office receptionist and provides general administrative support to the entire staff.
A small amount of travel will be expected in conjunction with the ESA Annual Meeting.
1. Assists members with basic transactions, including joining or renewing membership in ESA.
2. Assists members with questions or difficulties accessing their ESA member benefits or invoices, including members having difficulty logging into ESA’s website or journal websites.
3. Serves as a “power user” of ESA’s membership database, Association Anywhere, and provides support to members with changes, questions or difficulties with the database.
4. Coordinates with ESA volunteers and staff to facilitate ESA webinars.
5. Manages occasional mailings to members such as weekly new member packets, bi-weekly member campaign thank you gifts, annual member decade pins.
6. Assists with basic maintenance and clean-up of customer records and supports ESA’s online community, Higher Logic.
7. Provides support for ESA’s booth at the Annual Meeting.
8. Other duties as assigned
Author, Reviewer, and Editor Support
1. Monitors, routes, and answers e-mail queries from journal authors, editors, and reviewers.
2. Responds to waiver requests from authors and coordinates waivers with ESA’s publisher, Oxford University Press.
3. Assists ESA’s publisher with other routine inquiries and questions related to ESA’s journals.
4. Performs quality assurance checks on incoming manuscripts for ESA’s journals.
5. Serves as a “power user” of ESA’s online manuscript submission system, ScholarOne, and provides support to authors, editors, and reviewers with questions or difficulties.
6. Produces regular reports on journal data for ESA’s publications program using ScholarOne and other data sources as needed.
7. Provides necessary mailing lists for ESA’s publishing partner.
8. Other duties as assigned.
1. Serves as office receptionist, sorting mail, packages and assisting guests as they arrive to the office.
2. Monitors, routes and answers general e-mail inquiries, assisting members wherever possible.
3. Answer and route communication on the general phone line to the appropriate staff.
4. Manages office supplies and monitors office equipment.
5. Provides assistance in sending out packages and mailings.
6. Manages publications fulfillment from office.
7. Routine database updates and standard office administrative duties.
8. Other duties as assigned.
-Bachelor’s Degree or equivalency and one to three years’ experience in a professional office setting, preferably with non-profit associations.
-Excellent customer service skills; strong interpersonal and organizational skills, especially in working with Board leadership, committees, and members.
-Effective writing and communication skills; attentive to detail.
-Ability to handle multiple overlapping activities.
-Ability to work under pressure, establish schedules, and meet deadlines.
-Ability to analyze and solve problems and make decisions, both independently and in conjunction with others.
-Proficient in Microsoft Office programs. Knowledge of databases or CRMs (Association Anywhere a plus).
-Travel to ESA’s Annual Meeting.
Starting salary: $35,000-45,000 depending on experience, and an exceptional benefits package.
Send resume and cover letter to Lisa Junker, Director of Publications and Communications, at firstname.lastname@example.org.