Presenter Tips for Engaging with a Virtual Audience
Planning Your Presentation
- On each slide, balance text and images.
- Keep text at least 36-point font size.
- Always have high contrast between colors (e.g. background and text).
- Avoid "busy" slide backgrounds.
- For maps, charts, and graph labels use 20-point or larger font. Include the description of the image, chart, or graph.
- Simplify your slides for those watching on smaller screens.
- Use the downloadable photography and social media icons to inform the audience whether your presentation is shareable.
|Photography OK||No Photography|
|Social Media OK||No Social Media|
- Consider standing as it will allow you to remain focused and use good presentation delivery skills such as belly breathing, vocal variety, and pausing.
- If you are planning to use your camera, consider lighting and camera angle before you begin.
- You will want to have light in front of you to illuminate your face so that your face is not in shadow.
- Your camera should be at, or slightly above, eye level.
- Consider using a professional or virtual background to eliminate distraction.
- Pay attention to your body language and make eye contact with your "audience."
- Briefly introduce yourself and your presentation title at the start of your presentation.
- Consider speaking more slowly than you would in person.
- Briefly describe any slide images for those who may have low vision or be blind.
ESA Zoom Backgrounds
Consider downloading a Zoom background to reflect your area of study.
- Entomology 2020 Generic
- The Entomological Society of America
- Acari - Tick
- Araneae - Tarantula
- Arthropoda - DNA
- Coleoptera - Dung Beetle
- Diptera - Mosquito
- Hemiptera - Leaf-Footed Bug
- Hymenoptera - Bee
- Hymenoptera - Ant
- Lepidoptera - Butterfly
- Orthoptera - Cricket
Promote Your Entomology 2020 Session Online
Download the Entomology 2020 themed template to share your presentation information on social media.