Graduate students are invited to apply to present their research at the Joint ESA Rising Stars of Entomology and ESC Graduate Student Showcase (RSGSS) Symposium held during the 2022 Joint Annual Meeting. The purpose of the RSGSS is to provide a high-profile opportunity for graduate students near the completion of their degrees to present a more in-depth overview of their thesis research. Students will have the opportunity to expand upon their research beyond the 10-minutes of the student competitions and gain valuable experience for future career presentations. A total of eight individuals will be selected for this competitive symposium, four from ESA and four from ESC. The deadline for applications is Friday, May 20, 2022.
Additional information will be required, including an abstract, 1-page outline of research to be presented, CV, 2-minute promotional video, and a letter of support. Winners will receive a $200 travel stipend, complimentary registration to the Joint Annual Meeting, and complimentary membership for the upcoming year to their respective Society (ESA or ESC).
Applicants will be notified in late June of their status. Those not selected will automatically have their submissions scheduled in a student competition 10-minute paper session.
Questions? Contact the ESA & ESC Student Committee Chairs, Matt Muzzatti and Raman Sandhi.
Applicants must have a current ESA or ESC student membership at the time of submission and be within the last expected year of graduate studies (masters or PhD). Research submitted must be nearing completion as the symposium is not intended to showcase preliminary results, but more final results from a senior student. Students must also be the prinicpal investigator and principal author of the presented work.
All applicants must submit directly to the Joint ESA Rising Stars of Entomology and ESC Graduate Student Showcase Symposium on the Joint Annual Meeting submission site. In addition to providing the standard submission information (title, authors, abstract), applicants to the RSGSS are required to upload the following:
- Abstract (250 word maximum) describing the proposed presentation highlighting their work
- 1-page (single-spaced, 12 point) outline of their research, including rationale/significance, methodology, and results to date
- CV to include a list of previous conference presentations and other presentation experience (3 page maximum)
- 2-minute promotional video including a brief introduction and concise description and importance of the research to be presented
- Letter of support from principal supervisor in a PDF file that confirms the anticipated or actual date of graduation and comments on the proposed presentation and the applicant’s presentation and research abilities.
The deadline for RSGSS submissions is Friday, May 20, 2022.
Applicants to the RSGSS will be evaluated on the following:
- Quality of abstract (4 points)
- 250 word maximum
- Judges will look for more complete projects appropriate for senior students, not preliminary results
- Quality of research statement (10 points)
- Importance of research/justification
- Scientific methods (experimental design)
- Analytical techniques and approach to the program
- Conclusions logically justified from results
- Strength of CV (2 points)
- 3 page maximum
- Well-organized record of biographical information (degrees and current positions), scholarly contributions (both presentations and manuscripts), and positions (teaching assistantships, research assistantships, curatorial positions, mentoring, extension positions, etc.)
- Outreach/education work, reviewing papers, organization leadership at university or professional society level, diversity and including work
- Quality of video (5 points)
- Did the applicant introduce themselves to the Society?
- Concise and informative description of the research to be presented and why it is of interest
- Video can be any format so long as it is clear and engaging - slide deck, white board, elevator pitch, etc.
- These videos will be used to advertise selected talks, so make them interesting.
- Letter of support (2 points)
- Overall professionalism of submitted documents and attention to detail