Student Competition Judges Information & Resources
The Student Competition Co-Chairs thank you for your willingness to serve as a judge in the student competition. Without you, and other entomology professionals like you, the success of this program would not be possible.
All judges and alternates are required to attend a training session. We are offering multiple online Judges Training sessions as well as a couple of on-site sessions. Any judges electing to participate in the online training sessions prior to the start of Entomology 2019 are not required to attend the onsite trainings.
Online judges training sessions will be held:
- Tuesday, November 5: 2:00 PM - 3:00 PM Eastern
- Wednesday, November 13: 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM Eastern
You may sign-up for either of these trainings using the link provided in the Student Competition Judges Notification email.
Onsite Judges Training sessions will be held in Room 230 at America's Center. The dates and times for the training sessions are:
- Sunday, November 17: 12:00 - 12:30 PM
- Monday, November 18: 7:00 - 7:30 AM
You will have two options for keeping score during the presentations; either the hardcopy Evaluation (provided at the Judges Training and in the Judges Break Room onsite at Entomology 2019) or the online system (link provided in the Student Competition Judges Notification email). Ultimately, all scores will be entered online.
The Confex scoring site is formatted for mobile phones and tablets. You can easily access your assigned presentations and the scorecard on your phone or laptop by using the link provided in the Student Competition Judges Notification email. All scores are to be uploaded to the Confex system by 6:30 PM Monday, November 18. This will allow time to average scores, select winners, and settle any ties.
Students appreciate any feedback you may be able to provide. In order to facilitate this, we have added some pre-selected comments to the judges form for your convenience, as well as a place for you to write-in any additional comments. Please be sensitive to those participating in the competition by providing constructions and helpful comments and remarks. Avoid commenting on the personal appearance of the presenter.
A tutorial on how to use the Confex scoring site and submit your scores will be included as part of the judges training sessions, however below are helpful tips:
- To access the presentations to which you have been assigned, use the personalized link which was sent to you via email.
- Select the individual ID or the Title of the presentation/poster you are judging, then hit "Continue."
- Once you have entered your scores, be sure to select "Submit." Note: Scores will not be saved in the system unless you click Submit. You may go back, at any time, to adjust scores if necessary.
- To abstain from judging a presentation or if the presenter is a "no show," simply skip to the next presentation.
- Please note that Confex occassionally experiences bugs when using Chrome. Consider using a different web browser when entering your scores.
- All scores must be submitted by 6:30 PM Monday, November 18.
All judging alternates will need to attend one of the judges training sessions. On the day of the student competition, Monday, November 18, you are requested to be present in Room 200 at 7:50 AM and 10:00 AM in the event you are needed to serve. A light breakfast will be provided. If you are needed to judge a session, you will be provided with a personalized link to access the Confex judging forms at that time.
ESA is providing a complimentary continental breakfast to all judges and alternates on Monday, November 18. Breakfast will be available each day of the competition starting at 7:00 AM in Room 200 and will be refreshed again at 9:30 AM. Judges may also use this as a break room the day on which they are scheduled as a judge or alternate. The room will be open until 2:00 PM on Monday.