Field Research Biologist - Entomology (Sparks, GA)
FMC Corporation is a leading specialty company focused on agricultural technologies. FMC provides innovative and cost-effective solutions to enhance crop yield and quality by controlling a broad spectrum of insects, weeds and disease, as well as in non-agricultural markets for pest control.
FMC is a globally diverse organization that offers its employees exciting opportunities to work on challenging projects that are important to the achievement of our strategic objectives. Your education and professional experience are valued and put to use from day one. Your success at completing key initiatives can result in a varied, progressive and fulfilling career with FMC.
With a corporate culture of innovation, integrity, responsibility and customer intimacy, we foster “The Right Chemistry” in everything we do. We are looking for people to join us in creating, developing, and improving our products, our processes, and our markets. If you are ready to make a difference every day, FMC is ready to talk to you.
The Research Biologist – Entomologist designs, conducts, analyses and reports on research and development studies at the Sparks Research Station in Sparks, Georgia (SRS). The Research Biologist is actively involved in a broad range of work activities, trial planning, protocol development and execution, data summary and synthesis and data presentation on discovery and development technologies while advocating and adhering to FMC’s safety guidelines. The research biologist is part of the Global Biology Development organization.
- Conduct laboratory, greenhouse and field research safely, in compliance with all FMC and governmental regulations. Support all safety and compliance initiatives
- Collaborate with other biologists and stakeholders within the FMC organization in the design of programs and protocols to advance projects for synthetic active ingredients and plant health technologies
- Responsible for all aspects of studies and programs - planning, agronomic and preparation, study conduct, and analysis and reporting of data
- Conduct demonstration trials, field tours, data presentation to support commercial activities
- Demonstrate self-motivation and focus on trial success and quality - conduct programs with minimum supervision, minimum staff support. Work hand in hand with SRS Technicians to develop their skill sets and improve insect testing development and capabilities
- Assist colleagues in other disciplines as necessary – build a team atmosphere
- Work closely with SRS Station Manager and others in the organization to build testing capabilities and increase assay development to support global and area initiatives
- Work to identify budget savings or reduction in cost with the SRS Station manager
- Maintain technical knowledge of commercial, new chemistries & other technology impacting the business and maintain commercial GA pesticide applicators license
- Develop highly acute planning skills to build testing program calendars to predict resource needs and trials execution calendars to report to SRS Station Manager and Study Directors
- Work within FMC planning and data management platforms to track, account for and report all GH/Lab assays and field trials
- PhD in entomology with field experience or MS in entomology with 5+ years’ field research experience
- Unparalleled commitment to safety - safe driving practices, chemical handling, strong knowledge of PPE and REI and use of equipment
- Research experience in field development or commercialization of agricultural products
- Knowledge of insects and appropriate field-testing procedures with a high level of technical competency
- Knowledge of agricultural cropping systems, pests, practices and products
- Experience in field plot techniques and statistical analysis of data
- Commercial GA pesticide application license required or can be obtained post-employment
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to get results by delivering on commitments and implementing plans and programs
- Capable of designing protocols and research projects
- Excellent speaking, writing, and computer skills
- Ability to manage time and priorities in an independent work environment
- Strong interpersonal skills with a focus on teamwork and collaborative cooperation
- Ability to communicate to a wide variety of internal and external audiences in a way that promotes understanding and builds relationships
- Commitment to continually increase breadth and level of scientific knowledge within relevant agricultural/biological science disciplines
At FMC, diversity and inclusion are in our DNA. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to creating an inclusive workplace where all employees can thrive – regardless of race, gender, sex, pregnancy, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, color, age, religion or religious creed, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law. FMC also supports employee participation in company employee resource groups that celebrate the diverse backgrounds of our workforce by providing communities for employees to connect with each other and raise awareness throughout FMC.