Global Technical Director / Principal Associate - VectorLink
Abt Associates VectorLink Project Description
The US President’s Malaria Initiative(PMI)-funded Vector Control (VC)Task Order (TO)1 Project supports the PMI, as well as USAID Missions and Bureaus with malaria programs outside the PMI focus countries, in planning and implementing vector control programs and entomological monitoring with the overall goal of reducing the burden of malaria in Africa by enhancing PMI’s and USAID’s ability to implement Vector control programs on the ground through cost-effective commodities procurement and logistics systems, access to technical expertise, and implementation of core vector control interventions in countries affected by malaria.
Abt Associates seeks a Technical Director to support the VectorLink Project, a PMI funded integrated vector control program. The Technical Director will provides technical advice to Project leadership, PMI, project staff, and Ministries of Health. She/he will ensure that all country programs supported by PMI adhere to technical standards, provide on-site technical assistance to country programs; makes substantive technical and policy contributions in collaboration with international and national partners such as WHO, Global Fund for AIDs Tuberculosis and Malaria (GFATM), and NMCPs in the selection and rational deployment of malaria vector control interventions.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Provides technical oversight, continuous support, and ensures that entomological monitoring activities are conducted in accordance with WHO and PMI guidelines and best practices.
- Ensures that vector monitoring activities, data collection tools and processes, entomological data analysis approaches and reports are standardized across the project countries and high quality products are delivered.
- Develop entomological monitoring capacity building plans based on each country’s need assessment, organize regional or national trainings, and oversee execution of capacity building activities to ensure that high quality of entomological data are collected.
- Review the content of entomological monitoring reports for technical accuracy and high quality content.
- Advise USAID/PMI and counterparts in planning and implementation of integrated vector control based on evidence generated by the project and other partners.
- Support VectorLink countries to develop national entomological monitoring plans and to mobilize resources to help strengthen entomological monitoring activities.
- Publish findings of entomological monitoring data in peer-reviewed journals, share lessons learned and best practices at national, regional and international forums, and contribute to the national and international vector control information pool to influence policies.
- In collaboration with VectorLink country teams and entomology backstops identify and select sub-contracts and consultants for entomological monitoring support and help in the development of SOW (scope of work) when necessary.
- Work closely with VectorLink countries and entomology backstops to identify gaps related to materials, test kits, insecticide impregnated papers for both adult and larval testing and other items needed for successful implementation of comprehensive entomological monitoring activities particularly those items that need to be procured internationally and work with the VectorLink procurement team for timely delivery of these items.
- Support PMI VectorLink countries in the preparation of annual entomological monitoring work plans and budgets.
- Organize symposia and oversee submission of abstracts for presentation at international scientific and professional association conferences such as the Pan-Africa Mosquito Control Association (PAMCA), American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (ASTMH) and Multilateral Initiative on Malaria (MIM).
- Represent VectorLink project at Roll Back Malaria Vector Control Working Group annual meetings and manage relationships with Africa-based entomological research institutes and centers of excellences and regional networks.
- Directly supervises the work of at least four senior entomologists.
- Masters Degree (minimum), Doctorate degree (desirable), in Entomology, Public Health, tropical diseases, or other related areas
- At least five years of demonstrated experience in designing and implementing vector control and entomological monitoring activities.
- Experience in regulatory and operational aspects of insecticide use and management
- Demonstrated ability to work with a minimum of direction and supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to work both as a member of a team and as a team leader, with the ability to accept the inputs of other team members.
- Strong management and planning skills of project tasks and budgets.
- Demonstrates leadership and team work and produces high quality work in a timely, cost effective manner and has excellent writing skills.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal communication and computer skills.
- Experience with USAID and donor projects is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated publication skill in peer-reviewed journals and experience in presentation of research work at international conferences are required
- English language fluency
- MA/MBA (15+) years of experience OR PhD (10 - 15) years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
Please apply on our website to be considered for this position.