International Branch Awards
International Branch John Henry Comstock Award
Please consider nominating a student or colleague for an International Branch Award!
International Branch John Henry Comstock Award - The J. H. Comstock Award is given to an outstanding advanced graduate student (usually Ph.D. level) from each of the Entomological Society of America's six Branches to promote interest in the science of entomology at the graduate level and to stimulate interest in attending the ESA Annual Meeting. The award includes an all-expense-paid trip to the national meeting, a US$500 cash prize, and a certificate that is presented during the ESA Annual Meeting. Expenses paid include reimbursed airfare (economy), free hotel arrangements, free meeting registration and a per diem allowance.
The following guidelines have been established by the ESA-IB -
- Applicants must be enrolled as a graduate student at half-time and in graduate school at the time of the presentation of the Award, or have completed the degree within the last 12 months preceding.
- Students must be pursuing a course leading to a graduate degree with an emphasis in entomology.
- Application for Society membership must have been made prior to May 1 of the year the Award is
presented. Members must be affiliated with the International Branch.
- An active member returning for graduate study is not eligible.
- Students may apply to only one of the International Branch Student Awards on a given year.
- Student may apply to only one ESA Branch J. H. Comstock Award on a given year.
Nominations should include -
1) Statement of nominee's interests and goals in entomology (strictly limited 2 pages double spaced).
2) Description of significant awards and achievements (strictly limited 2 page double spaced).
3) Curriculum vitae (limited to 2 pages), with:
a) A list of research publications (refereed or non; limited to published or accepted submissions;
please provide complete citation)
b) A list of oral and poster presentations (professional meetings, seminars, etc.)
c) Significant awards and achievements related to entomology
d) Teaching experience (academic, outreach, extension)
e) Professional activities (such as committees, professional societies, etc.)
4) Letter of support for candidacy from two (2) professional references.
Please request e-mail delivery of this letter (either scanned signed PDF document or an unsigned
Word document that uses the sender's e-mail to suffice as an endorsement).
5) Photograph of the nominee (as a digital image file).
(College transcripts are not required for this award.)
Note: Application materials must be submitted be submitted in electronic format.
Submit a nomination