The Entomological Society of America is seeking a service-oriented individual to provide front-line support at our Annapolis, MD headquarters. The ESA Membership Assistant (MA) is considered “the face” of the ESA headquarters office and serves as the front line with members, providing general support for ESA’s members, subscribers, and other customers. The Membership Assistant is considered “the face” of the ESA headquarters office and serves as the front line with members, members, subscribers, guests, and other customers. Proficiency in the Microsoft suite is required, along with an exceptional attitude and exemplary customer service skills. This is a perfect job for recent college graduates. This position serves as the office receptionist and provides general administrative support to the entire staff. This is a non-exempt position with an expected salary range of $35,000-$40,000 plus an outstanding benefits package.
The primary duties of ESA’s MA include:
- Member Support: In close coordination with all departments, receive and respond to member and customer inquiries on Society processes and initiatives, including meeting registration, membership, and database updates.
- Assist members with basic transactions, including joining or renewing membership in ESA.
- Assist members with questions or difficulties accessing their ESA member benefits or invoices, including members having difficulty logging into ESA’s website or journal websites.
- Serve as a “power user” of ESA’s membership database, Association Anywhere, and provide support to members with changes, questions or difficulties with the database.
- Manage occasional mailings to members such as weekly new member packets, bi-weekly member campaign thank you gifts, annual member decade pins, certification kits and renewal cards.
- Assist with basic maintenance and clean-up of customer records and support ESA’s online community, Higher Logic.
- As needed and working with the Membership, Governance, and Awards Manager, serve as oversight for contracted temporary office assistance on mailing fulfillment and other light tasks.
- Serve as coordinator for the ESA Webinar Squad, working in close coordination with the Membership, Awards, and Governance Manager, the Marketing Manager, the Database Manager, and others as needed.
- As needed, may provide support for ESA’s booth at the Annual Meeting.
- Other duties as assigned
- Support for Other ESA Departments: The MA serves as office receptionist, sorting mail, packages and assisting guests as they arrive to the office, and generally assisting as needed with the other departments of the Society, to include meetings, certification, publications, and finance.
- Provide necessary mailing lists for ESA’s publishing partner.
- Monitor, route and answer general e-mail inquiries, assisting members whenever possible.
- Answer and route communication on the general phone line to the appropriate staff.
- Manage office supplies and monitor office equipment.
- Provide assistance in fulfilling package and letter mailings.
- Manage publications fulfillment from office.
- Make routine database updates and perform standard office administrative tasks
- Respond to waiver requests from authors and coordinate waivers with ESA’s publisher, Oxford University Press.
- Assist meetings department with support to provide excellent service to prospective attendees.
- Assist certification department with inquiries and queries related to ESA’s certification programs.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalency and 0-2 years’ experience in a professional office setting, preferably with non-profit associations.
- Excellent customer service skills; strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Effective writing and communication skills; attentive to detail.
- Ability to handle multiple overlapping activities.
- Ability to work under pressure, establish schedules, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems and make decisions, both independently and in conjunction with others.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel required.
- Knowledge of databases or CRMs (Association Anywhere a plus, but not required).
- New college graduates are encouraged to apply.
- This position is classified as non-exempt.
What’s Attractive to the Right Candidate?
- Your ideas will be heard. ESA has a collaborative, high-growth culture where innovation and ideas are welcomed. You will like who you work with – we’re a small team but we’re high energy and very productive. We will trust you to manage your work and we’ll provide support and resources to help you be successful.
- ESA has strong, stable leadership and is financially healthy. Our leaders genuinely care about the people who work here, what we are doing, and the positive impact we are having by being the go-to resource for our members and customers.
- We offer an excellent compensation package including 100 percent paid health and dental insurance for you and your family; life insurance; long-term disability; a retirement plan that matches up to 7 percent of annual salary after your first year; free parking; 10 paid holidays; 13 days of vacation the first year; 13 sick days, and flexible work schedules.
Starting salary: $35,000 - $40,000 depending on experience, and an exceptional benefits package.
How To Apply: Send resume and cover letter to Mary Campbell, Membership, Governance and Awards Manager, at email@example.com.