ESA-NCB Distinguished Achievement Award in Extension
This award is presented to honor an NCB-ESA member for excellence in Extension.
The recipient will receive plaque acknowledging achievement. Winner will also serve as our branch nominee for the Distinguished Achievement Award in Extension offered by the Entomological Society of America
The nominee must be a current NCB-ESA member, and must have demonstrated excellent performance through Extension program creativity, impact, achievement, and delivery.
NOTE: An individual can only be nominated through one ESA branch in a given year.
Electronic Submission Requirements
All nomination packages must be submitted electronically according to the following specifications (paper nominations will not be accepted):
- The entire nomination package must not exceed 20 pages total. This includes letters of nomination or recommendation and publication lists.
- Letters of nomination and recommendation must be included in the electronic package. Printed letters sent in lieu of electronic versions will not be accepted.
- Only the following file formats will be accepted: PDF (Adobe Portable Document Format), RTF (Rich Text Format), TIF graphic files, or JPG graphic files. Files created on either PC or MAC platforms will be accepted. Please make sure scanned images can be clearly read on a computer screen.
- Font size for text may not be smaller than 10 point.
- A nomination package may contain no more than 6 separate files, and the size of each file must not exceed 3 MB.
Nomination packages must be submitted directly to the chair of the NCB-ESA Professional Awards Committee.
Nomination packages for this award must include:
Nominators must provide the information called for in the CV template, either in the template's format or in their own format. To view the CV-related nomination requirements for this award, as well as the CV template, please click here.
- Letter of nomination that provides a brief explanation of how the individual excelled in performing his/her duties, including innovations in training, programs, and methods
- Up to three letters of endorsement from professional colleagues and clientele
Nominees/candidates will be judged using the following criteria for a total of 100 points:
- Professional Background(60 points total)
- Leadership and participation in professional activities (10)
- Honors, awards, achievements, and recognition (7)
- Special assignments and committee activities (10)
- Service outside of extension, including community activities (7)
- Grantsmanship (8)
- Recommendation of colleagues, peer groups, etc. (8)
- Publications (10)
- Program Management(40 points total)
- Creativity and innovation of program's concept (8)
- Development, educational strategy (8)
- Implementation, including publications (8)
- Diversity of program's delivery (8)
- Evidence of program's impact (8)
Nomination packages must be received by the chair of the NCB-ESA Professional Awards Committee by January 10th. This deadline refers to receipt by the awards administrator of a complete package in a readable format. Therefore, early submission is highly recommended. The awards administrator will confirm receipt of nomination packages within two business days, and also notify nominators of any problems with nomination package files within that time.
Renominations are encouraged. Any candidate nominated, but not selected, for the award at the branch level, may be renominated for the branch award up to two times within the two-year period (following the eligibility criteria) after his/her initial submission. The winner of each branch award will compete with winners from other branches for the society-level ESA or Entomological Foundation awards (society-level awards were formerly known as national awards). If the NCB branch winner does not win the society-level award, he or she is again eligible for nomination for the branch award after three years. Thus, a candidate may win the branch award more than once. Previous winners of society-level awards are not eligible for renomination at the branch level. Nomination packages will be retained for two years by the chair of the NCB-ESA Professional Awards Committee. Nominators must send a letter of renomination to the chair of the NCB-ESA Professional Awards Committee by the nomination deadline above. Previously submitted documentation will be used for the evaluation process unless the nominator submits new or updated documents. The renomination e-mail must contain any updated documents. New or updated documents must follow the electronic submission requirements noted above.
The awards administrator will notify all candidates and their nominators with the results of their nomination approximately two months after the nomination submission deadline.
For more information about this award, please contact the chair of the NCB-ESA Professional Awards Committee.