P-IE Pollinator Video Contest
The P-IE Pollinator Video Contest provides opportunities to P-IE members to develop quality YouTube videos on specific topics and compete for prizes. Videos can be developed individually by a P-IE member, or as part of a team where at least one individual is a P-IE member.
Watch the 2017 Winning Videos:
- Building Bee Habitat in Your Backyard
- Life History of Bees
- Life Cycle of the Squash Bee (Peponapis pruinosa)
- Driving Change: Pollinator Conservation in the Urban Landscape
Watch the 2017 Honorable Mention Videos:
Contest videos will be used by P-IE for increasing awareness about pollinators and pollinator-related issues.
The following prizes will be awarded:
- Short Video: 3 minutes (max): Four prizes, $750 USD each
- Long Video: 15 minutes (max): Two prizes, $1,000 USD each
Videos should address any one (or subset) of the following topics:
- Pollinator Biology and Life Cycle
- Description of life history of one or more species
- Rearing of bees and other pollinators
- Importance of Bees
- Ecological services provided by managed bees and wild bees
- Anthropological/cultural importance of bees
- Pollinator Decline and Pollinator Protection
- Declines of managed and wild pollinator species
- Protection and conservation of pollinators
- Public Safety and Awareness
- Distinguishing between wasps, bees that sting, and those that don't sting
- Avoidance and treatment of bee stings
Other subtopics that align with the main topics are welcome. For questions related to the topics or subtopics or clarifications on whether a particular subtopic is acceptable, send an email to email@example.com.
New videos should be developed and submitted by the extended deadline of October 25, 2017.
P-IE Pollinator Video Contest winners will be notified before the Annual Meeting of the Entomological Society of America (ESA) in 2017. Winning videos will be showcased during the P-IE Networking Sessions during the Annual Meeting.
P-IE Pollinator Video Contest Guidelines
- At least one producer must be an ESA P-IE member - Student, Student Transition, Early Career Professional, Regular, Honorary, or Emeritus.
- Videos must be new - created after November 2016.
Video Creation Rules:
- Videos can be entered for the short (3-minutes max) or long (15-minutes max) video contest.
- Videos should address any one (or subset) of the topics listed above.
- Videos should not include any reference to ESA or P-IE.
- Videos should not be available to a public domain until the end of the contest.
- Videos should include a proper scientific reference cited section, which should also be included in the video description. Information should be obtained from valid literature resources (i.e. not Wikipedia).
- Videos should include a Credits section listing contributors (i.e. John Doe as Videographer, Jane Deer as Graphics Design, Mary Joe as Screenwriter, etc.).
Complete the P-IE Pollinator Video Contest Entry Form along with the link of your YouTube video. Extended submission deadline is October 25, 2017.
Video entries to be judged by the P-IE Pollinator Committee will be evalutated on:
|Generality and importance of topic||10 points|
|Compelling storyline||15 points|
|Ease of understanding by a broad audience||15 points|
|Accuracy of pollinator content with current references||30 points|
|Quality of the video (sound, picture, transitions)||30 points|
For questions related to the contest, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.