Report From the April 2020 ESA Governing Board Meeting
April 21, 2020
The ESA Governing Board meets four times per year to discuss strategic initiatives, oversee the work of staff and volunteers, and advance new ideas to benefit the Society. A summary of activities is published after each meeting to inform members about board activities and decisions.
The ESA Governing Board met via conference call on April 9. During their meeting, the board took the following actions:
- Reallocated up to $10,000 previously designated to support 2020 strategic initiatives to instead create a fund to provide assistance for dues payments to members in financial need due to the pandemic. Further details of how the fund will operate will be announced to the membership in the near future.
- Tabled the response to the ICE Council about a new U.S. representative, as the congress has been postponed until July 2021 and the current ICE Council members remain in place until then.
- Approved 2021 subscription pricing for the ESA journals as proposed by Oxford University Press.
- Approved a recommendation from the ESA Publications Council to waive page charges for ESA members for the journal Insect Systematics and Diversity (ISD) through September 2022. This waiver was granted to provide ISD with additional time to become established and to qualify for an impact factor.
- Approved a request from the Early Career Professionals Committee to fund a three-year pilot program recognizing exceptional research by ECP members, through a symposium that will recognize one peer-selected ECP member from each of ESA’s Sections and feature talks from each describing their research programs.
- Accepted the consent agenda, including the Honorary Members report, changes to the ESA conduct disclosure form, changes to the ESA Common Names of Insects list, updates to the Society Policy Manual, and approval of minutes from past Governing Board meetings, Executive Committee meetings, and cybermotions of the board.
The Governing Board also discussed the following topics:
- The impact of COVID-19 on ESA operations, meetings, strategic priorities, and finances.
- The quarterly report on ESA’s investments and reserves.
- The 2020 Branch meetings, including an update on the upcoming International Branch Virtual Symposium and plans for virtual business meetings for the Branches whose meetings were cancelled or postponed.
- Plans for the 2020 ESA Summer Meeting and Entomology 2020.
- Plans for the ESA Science Policy Fellows program, including adjustments made due to the cancellation of their in-person spring meeting in Washington, DC.
- Plans for developing the ESA Non-Academic Career Track Initiative.
- Updates on ICE and its postponement to July 2021.
- Updates on ESA’s Science Policy initiatives.
- Updates on the presidential leadership transition and the ESA special election for vice president-elect.
- Updates on the 2019 ESA audit.
- A brief update on the 2019 ESA Annual Report, which was distributed to the ESA membership shortly before the board meeting.
- Board liaison assignments for ESA committees.
The ESA Governing Board also convened as the ESA Certification Corporation Governing Board and discussed year-to-date certification program activity, including the launch of the Public Health Entomology certificate, and approved the minutes of the Certification Corporation Governing Board’s November 2019 meeting. The ESA Governing Board also convened as the ESA Certification Corporation Governing Board and discussed year-to-date certification program activity and financial reports and approved the 2020 Certification Corporation budget.
Members with questions about the outcomes from the April Governing Board meeting can contact ESA Executive Director Chris Stelzig at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Minutes from past Governing Board meetings are available online following Governing Board approval.
For more info, visit the ESA Governing Board page.