Report From the January 2021 ESA Governing Board Meeting
February 1, 2021
The ESA Governing Board meets at least four times per year to discuss strategic initiatives, oversee the work of staff and volunteers, and advance new ideas to benefit the Society. A summary of activities is published after each meeting to inform members about board activities and decisions.
The ESA Governing Board met via video conference on January 21, 2021. Below are highlights from the meeting and actions taken.
- The Board discussed the nomination and review process for ESA Fellows. A subcommittee had been created in September 2020 to streamline this process and it returned with suggested motions to modify the eligibility criteria, nomination requirements, and review process.
- ESA Executive Director Chris Stelzig and staff provided a headquarters update, including a financial review of 2020, a look ahead at the impact of the coronavirus on the Branch Meetings and Annual Meeting, and a new double-anonymous review process for the Journal of Insect Science.
- The board reviewed and accepted a search committee’s recommendation to have Dr. Zsofia Szendrei serve as the next editor-in-chief (EIC) of American Entomologist. She will serve as co-EIC of the magazine until the end of 2021 with the current editor, Dr. Kevin Steffey, and then will serve as the sole EIC until the end of her term on December 31, 2024.
The Governing Board took the following actions:
- Adopted motions to change the ESA Fellows eligibility criteria, nomination requirements, and review process.
- Accepted the nomination of Dr. Zsofia Szendrei to serve as editor-in-chief of American Entomologist.
- Approved the minutes from the November 2020 Governing Board meeting.
Members with questions about the outcomes from the January 2021 Governing Board meeting can contact ESA Executive Director Chris Stelzig at email@example.com.
Minutes from past Governing Board meetings are available online following Governing Board approval.
For more info, visit the ESA Governing Board page.