August 19, 2020
The ESA Governing Board meets at least four times per year to discuss strategic initiatives, oversee the work of staff and volunteers, and advance new ideas to benefit the Society. A summary of activities is published after each meeting to inform members about board activities and decisions.
The ESA Governing Board met via video conference call on July 29-30. During their meeting, the board took the following actions:
- Approved a motion to fund the hiring of a new ESA Membership and Diversity Program Manager who will focus on improving the membership experience, with a three-year commitment out of ESA's strategic reserve funds.
- Approved a motion from the Diversity and Inclusion Committee to launch a Distinguished Achievement Award in the Promotion of Diversity and Inclusion in the Field of Entomology.
- Requested further information from the Diversity and Inclusion Committee before the September board meeting regarding its proposal for a Margaret Collins Student Award.
- Based on the recommendation of the Student Affairs Committee, accepted a motion to include territorial acknowledgments at ESA's Annual Meetings.
- Discussed a motion from the Student Affairs Committee to conduct an analysis of the Linnaean Games Task Force process. While the board did not approve the motion as suggested, it did task the new ESA Membership and Diversity Program Manager with reviewing the Linnaean Games Task Force process and making suggestions for how future Society decision-making processes can be as inclusive as possible.
- Approved two updated ESA position statements on Insecticide Resistance Management and Insecticide Resistance Management in Genetically Modified Crops.
- Approved the 2019 Audit Committee report.
- Selected the 2020 class of ESA Fellows.
- Accepted the consent agenda, including changes to the ESA Common Names of Insects list; a report from the Innovation Task Force; other Section, Branch, and committee reports; and approval of minutes from past Governing Board meetings, Executive Committee meetings, and cybermotions of the board.
The Governing Board also discussed the following topics:
- Staffing and other updates from headquarters, including the search for a new Director of Publications, Communications, and Marketing, following the resignation of Lisa Junker from that position.
- ESA's 2020 activities related to diversity and inclusion and current initiatives under way.
- Updates on the development of Entomology 2020.
- Updates on ESA's Science Policy initiatives.
- Updates on ESA's Non-Academic Career Track Initiative (NACTI).
- Updates on ESA's mid-year financials, including the current status of ESA's insurance claims related to the 2020 Branch meeting cancellations.
- Ideas for improving and streamlining the Fellows selection process.
- Feedback requested by the Common Names Committee on concerns related to the development of common names based on geographic regions or cultural aspects.
The ESA Governing Board also convened as the ESA Certification Corporation Governing Board and discussed year-to-date certification program and approved the minutes of the Certification Corporation Governing Board's April 2020 meeting.
Members with questions about the outcomes from the April Governing Board meeting can contact ESA Executive Director Chris Stelzig at email@example.com.
Minutes from past Governing Board meetings are available online following Governing Board approval.
For more info, visit the ESA Governing Board page.