Report From the June 2021 ESA Governing Board Meeting
July 6, 2021
The ESA Governing Board meets at least four times per year to discuss strategic initiatives, oversee the work of staff and volunteers, and advance new ideas to benefit the Society. A summary of activities is published after each meeting to inform members about board activities and decisions.
The ESA Governing Board met via video conference on June 23-24, 2021. During the meeting, the Board took the following actions:
- The Board approved a motion asking the Awards and Honors Committee to review recommendations from the Honorary Membership Task Force and to better align the award with ESA’s strategic priorities.
- After reviewing a proposal from the Common Names of Insects and Related Organisms Committee that addressed problematic extant names, the Board passed a motion to remove “gypsy moth” and “gypsy ant” from ESA’s Common Names of Insects and Related Organisms list.
- The Board moved to accept the nomination of ten Fellows.
- The Board approved recommendations from the Presidential Task Force on Fellows Nominations, which offered several improvements to the program. The task force was reconvened to further evaluate the nominee review process.
- The Board approved a motion to appoint Dr. David Taylor as the new editor-in-chief of the Journal of Medical Entomology, to begin a four-year term on January 1, 2022. The Board also approved a second motion to seek a co-editor-in-chief to serve alongside Dr. Taylor.
The Board discussed the following topics:
- Chris Stelzig provided an update on the Presidential Task Force on ESA Regional Needs Assessment, which is part of the preparations for the summer strategy day that will examine ESA’s organizational structure and processes that require a regional presence.
- The Board revisited the diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) discussion held at the May meeting and agreed to pursue a DEI strategic planning process.
- The Board discussed the journal programs’ pay-per-view offering, which offers customers the ability to purchase access to articles outside of a traditional subscription.
- Chris Stelzig gave a headquarters update and an assessment of the future directions of the Society.
- The Board reviewed the Audit Committee Report, which noted that the society’s finances performed well in 2020.
- The Finance Committee Report was presented, which noted that the pandemic continues to have some negative impacts on ESA’s programs and operations, but that the investment portfolio continues to post strong gains and that some programs are expected to exceed revenue projections.
- The Board received an update on the plans to host ESA’s first-ever hybrid annual meeting later this fall. Submission totals and coronavirus-related preparations were discussed.
- The Board received an update on governmental affairs and the society’s federal advocacy efforts.
- Strategic initiatives were reviewed, including the Grand Challenges Agenda for Entomology (GCAFE), the Professional Advancement and Career Training (PACT) Initiative, and a new mentorship program. The Board was also briefed on two federal grant opportunities.
- The Society’s publications program was reviewed.
- In preparation of the meeting, the Board reviewed reports from the Society’s Branches, Sections, and many committees. Several of these were pulled out for additional discussion. In particular, the Board discussed the Leadership Development Committee’s Report and agreed that open nominations are more inclusive and that efforts should be made to encourage more nominations. The Board also discussed the Early Careers Professional (ECP) Committee’s Report and noted the importance of efforts seeking to improve the retention of our ECP members. The Board also reviewed a report from staff regarding a dues adjustment for 2022.
The ESA Governing Board convened as the ESA Certification Corporation Governing Board. They reviewed the year-to-date budget, passed a motion approving the pricing of the new certified IPM technician program, and approved the minutes of the Certification Corporation Governing Board's November 2020 meeting.
Members with questions about the outcomes from the June 2021 Governing Board meeting can contact ESA Executive Director Chris Stelzig at email@example.com.
Minutes from past Governing Board meetings are available online following Governing Board approval.
For more info, visit the ESA Governing Board page.