Join our growing Home & Garden R&D team in metropolitan St. Louis, MO!
Spectrum Brands Holdings is a home‐essentials company with a mission to make living better at home. We focus on delivering innovative products and solutions to consumers for use in and around the home through our trusted brands. We are a leading supplier of residential locksets, residential builders’ hardware, plumbing, shaving and grooming products, personal care products, small household appliances, specialty pet supplies, lawn and garden and home pest control products, and personal insect repellents. Helping to meet the needs of consumers worldwide, Spectrum Brands offers a broad portfolio of market-leading, well-known and widely trusted brands including Kwikset®, Weiser®, Baldwin®, National Hardware®, Pfister®, Remington®, George Foreman®, Russell Hobbs®, Black+Decker®, Tetra®, Marineland®, Nature’s Miracle®, Dingo®, 8-in-1®, FURminator®, IAMS® and Eukanuba® (Europe only), Digest-eeze™, Healthy-Hide®, Littermaid®, Good Boy®, Meowee!® , Wildbird®, Wafcol®, OmegaOne®, OmegaSea®, Spectracide®, Cutter®, Repel®, Hot Shot®, Black Flag®, and Liquid Fence®. Spectrum Brands, a member of the Russell 1000 index, generated fiscal 2020 net sales of approximately $4.0 billion.
The Home & Garden business unit of Spectrum Brands is based in St. Louis, Missouri with distribution, manufacturing and sales offices throughout the US and globe. We are a leading supplier of consumer products nationally for the home, lawn and garden, insect and weed control markets. We deliver groundbreaking products of exceptional value and top-notch quality to consumers with our well-recognized brands including Spectracide®, Hot Shot®, Cutter®, Repel®, Black Flag®, Garden Safe®, EcoLogic® and Liquid Fence®.
The Research Entomologist (Urban Entomology) will work closely with members of the marketing, formulations and regulatory teams to develop new products for an indoor insecticide portfolio. They will be involved in insect rearing and colony maintenance activities for the R&D insectary. They will partner with members of the R&D formulations team to set up and execute insecticidal efficacy trials at our Earth City, Missouri Laboratory as well as coordinate third party efficacy testing with Contract Research Labs (CROs) and Universities. They will have a strong background in behavior and management of crawling insects, arachnids, and arthropods.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinate third party efficacy testing with CROs and professional pest control network
- Analyze data for claims substantiation
- Generate data for new consumer claims or regulatory requirements
- Insect rearing and colony maintenance
- Review and update procedures vs. federal EPA efficacy guidelines
- Prototype and screen efficacy for new product innovation
- Partner with formulators to recommend and evaluate various active ingredients
- Maintain detailed and accurate records of experimental trials, summarize trial results, and assemble study reports
- Scan competitive activity
- Work with laboratory personnel to conduct biological efficacy trials that require the handling of insects and insecticides.
- Support outreach and product education activities
- US travel to CROs, strategic partners, organized, conferences and meetings
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE PROFILE
- Bachelor’s Degree in Entomology, Biology, or a related science with 3+ years of laboratory experience.
- Understanding of common urban / structural pest biology.
- Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) knowledge.
- Experience in ants, spiders, and common household crawling insects a plus.
- Experience in product development.
- Detail oriented.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to organize and carry out concurrent projects according to appropriate guidelines and protocols.
- Ability to work with insects and insecticides on a regular basis in a controlled environment.
- Ability to collaborate and work effectively with others to achieve results.
Approximately 80% laboratory/office environment and up to 20% travel
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this job/classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Spectrum Brands is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.