We are seeking an exceptionally talented scientist to become an integral member of our multi-disciplinary Plant Biotechnology organization as a Research Entomologist. The successful candidate will develop, coordinate, and perform high throughput assays that are critical for the discovery and development of insect control products. This role will provide an opportunity to partner with and work across multifunctional teams within our company to deliver next-generation insect control traits to farmers throughout the world.
The individual in this role will provide technical assistance and entomological expertise to several research programs within Bayer Crop Science. They will be an integral contributor on project teams where collaboration with key in vitro research with agricultural pests is needed.
- Design, coordinate, and initiate testing program to characterize activity of new insect control traits
- Ensure that USDA regulations are followed for all studies and help prepare IP applications
- Management of daily work assignments for contractors
- Provide key input to product development and discovery teams charged with development of novel insect control traits
- Capacity to work collaboratively within and beyond our cross-functional organization to maintain and foster alliances and research collaborations
- Keep abreast of scientific developments relevant to insect control and resistance management
- Ensure high quality data are produced and delivered in a timely manner
- Support broader platform workflow needs and ensure company safety policies and guidelines are met
Required Education and Skills/Experience:
- Minimum of M.S. in Entomology, Biology or related discipline
- Experience working with agricultural pests
- Strong background in either insect feeding behavior, insect diet, insect physiology, plant-insect interactions, and/or insect protein interactions
- Ability to conceptualize, design, and execute experiments that address insect specific research questions in transgenic cropping systems
- Agility to work on multiple projects and flexibility to meet business objectives
- Research experience conducting insect efficacy testing in vitro or other systems
- Functional knowledge of statistics and data management
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Desired Education and Skills/Experience:
- Ph.D. in Entomology
- Experience working with automation
- Strong written and oral communication and organization skills, with a proven ability to convey complex ideas in a clear, precise, and actionable manner to diverse audiences including expert and non-technical audiences
- Proficiency with database applications such Spotfire or LIMs related programs
- Prior experience leading scientific initiatives across functional areas
- Prior experience with quality management systems such as ISO or GLP
- Demonstrated creativity in defining challenging exploratory projects and developing solutions
- Track record of successfully evaluating and developing pipeline and process improvements
- Trained or certified in Lean and/or Six Sigma
Bayer successfully completed the acquisition of Monsanto in June 2018, bringing together Monsanto’s leadership in seeds and plant traits with Bayer’s leadership in chemical and biological crop protection. By joining forces, we will create even more extensive career opportunities for talent around the world. We’re a global team working to shape agriculture through breakthrough innovation that will benefit farmers, consumers, and our planet.
While we are now Bayer, we will continue to hire using separate career sites until we can integrate our career platforms. We invite you to explore the career opportunities available at the combined company by visiting advancingtogether.com/careers.