Entomology Advocacy Week
Mark your calendars for the week of August 18-24, 2019, for Entomology Advocacy Week. This is your chance to get engaged and advocate for the science of entomology. In this modern era it is the responsibility for all scientists to advocate for their discipline. Many ESA members already engage in outreach activities throughout the year. Entomology Advocacy Week is a concentrated effort to target policymakers with science that matters so that evidence-based decision making becomes the norm at all levels of government. In preparation for Entomology Advocacy Week 2019 please review the 2018 Science Policy Webinar from Dr. Marianne Alleyne (University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign), which presented five ways that you can take action during Entomology Advocacy Week.
- Request a meeting with your Senator or Representative
- Write (or call) your lawmaker about an issue
- Write an op-ed for your local or national paper
- Get active on social media
- Build your brand - and your institution's
Also, be sure to read the papers in the special collection on scientists and science policy in the Annals of the Entomological Society of America
Why the week August 18-24? We're tying into some great outreach events that are already scheduled, like
- National Honeybee Day (August 17, 2019)
- World Mosquito Day (August 20, 2019)
- U.S. House of Representatives Congressional Recess (All of August)
- Three articles on Entomology Today about advocacy. Writing an OpEd (July 23), 15 Ways to Advocate at the State and Local Level (August 1), and How to Host a Congressional Visit at your Facility (August 8).
- Fast facts about ESA and the importance of entomology
- Talking points and communication tips
- ESA FY2019 funding priorities
- Get Involved - more tools and resources
During the week of August 18-24, check this page for live updates about your fellow entomologists' advocacy activities. Be sure to tag @EntsocAmerica on Twitter and use the hashtag #EntVocate19 so ESA and your fellow advocates can stay informed about what you do!