Medical, Urban, and Veterinary Entomology (MUVE) Shripat Kamble Urban Entomology Graduate Student Award for Innovative Research
The Medical, Urban, and Veterinary Entomology Section (MUVE), recognizes the contributions of Dr. Shripat Kamble in urban entomology and his services to entomology, the Entomological Society of America (ESA), and to the BCE program. Dr. Kamble established this prestigious award to promote innovative research in urban entomology. Dr. Kamble's fund plus additional donations from Dow AgroSciences, DuPont Professional Products, Rhodes Chemical Company, and Syngenta support this award. The award is provided to a doctoral student who is currently conducting research which demonstrates innovative and realistic approaches to urban entomology. The award consists of a $500 research grant and a plaque. The recipient is presented with the award at the ESA Annual Meeting during the MUVE networking business meeting.
For questions about this award, please contact MUVE President Changlu Wang.
The applicant must be a student for a doctoral degree at an accredited university in the U.S. The award is only available to students who are ESA members with a demonstrated interest in urban entomology (excludes turf and ornamental pests). The recipient is encouraged to present the research results at an ESA Annual Meeting.
Nominations may be made by anyone. Nomination packages must include:
- A nomination letter to the MUVE president.
- CV (Click here for the CV template).
- Two additional letters of reference.
- Research proposal and its significance (must not exceed 5 pages) approved and signed by the nominee's major advisor. The proposal must include the title, duration, and background information concerning the significance of the research to the field of Urban Entomology including materials and budget.
- University transcripts
- All documents should be merged into one PDF file for ease of review by the panel. The entire nomination package must not exceed 20 pages.
Nominees will be judged using the following criteria for a total of 100 points:
- Candidate (50 points total - 10 points each)
- Honors, awards, achievements and recognition
- Recommendations of professors, advisors, etc.
- Research Proposal (50 points total - 10 points each)
- Scientific contribution to the knowledge of the biology or control of pests in the urban environment
- Creativity and innovation
- Scientific impact
All nomination packages must be submitted electronically to the MUVE Awards Submission Site according to the following specifications:
- Only one PDF file will be accepted.
- Font size for text may not be smaller than 10 point.
- The entire nomination package must not exceed 20 pages.
Any candidate nominated, but not selected, may be re-nominated for the following year only. A new or an updated re-nomination package must follow the electronic submission requirements noted above.
The awards administrator will notify all candidates and their nominators with the results of their nomination approximately two months after the nomination submission deadline.
View the list of those who have previously received this award.
Nomination packages must be submitted through the MUVE Awards Nomination Website by July 1, 2019. This deadline refers to receipt by the awards administrator of a complete package in a readable format.