World of Insects Calendar - Photo Submission Form
The photo submission period for the 2022 World of Insects Calendar is currently open.
ESA invites photographers of all backgrounds, areas of expertise, career stage, and geographic location to submit photos. No entomological training or expertise is required, and you do not need to be an ESA member to enter.
Photographs will be selected by the ESA Committee on the World of Insects Calendar and must be of the highest aesthetic and technical quality.
STOP: Before submitting your photos, read the entry requirements below. Entries not meeting these criteria will not be accepted.
Photo submissions must meet the following criteria to be accepted for judging:
- Orientation: Photos must be horizontal and rectangular to be considered for feature-image (full-page) placement in the calendar. (The calendar page size is 11 inches wide by 8.5 inches high.) Vertical or square photos may be considered for alternate placements, but horizontal and rectangular photos are preferred.
- File size and resolution: Photos submitted for judging may not exceed 10 MB in file size. To be considered for feature (full-page) placement, photos must be at least 3,300 pixels wide by 2,550 pixels high (i.e., 11 inches by 8.5 inches at 300 pixels per inch).
- File names: Please include either an insect common name (e.g., honey bee) or species name (e.g., Apis mellifera) in each image filename. If you are unsure of the insect identification, please name the file with a general name (e.g., bee, ant). Do not submit photos with generic numbered file names (e.g., IMG_1234). If you are submitting via a mobile device and are unable to rename files, please switch to submit via a desktop or other platform that allows you to rename files.
- File type: Photo files must be in JPG, JPEG, or PNG format.
- Anonymization: Please remove all personally identifying information from both your images (e.g. watermarks or text overlays) and their filenames. Images will be matched to each entrant by ESA staff but provided to the judging committee anonymously.
- Natural setting: Photos must be of living insects in natural-appearing settings. Photos of insects that are mounted or fossilized will not be accepted.
- Biodiversity: Insects and related arthropods (arachnids, myriapods, entognathids) are welcome; however, a maximum of one (1) non-insect image will be chosen for the calendar.
- Quantity: A maximum of five (5) photos may be submitted by a single photographer. No more than one (1) image from any individual photographer will be published in the calendar.
- Variety: Photographers are encouraged to submit photos of a variety of insect subjects. Submitting multiple shots of the same insect is discouraged.
- Deadline: Photos must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. U.S. Eastern Time on May 5, 2021.
Instructions: Please fill out the form below; required fields are marked with an asterisk (*). When uploading photos, you must click the UPLOAD button for each file. Once all files are uploaded, click SUBMIT at the bottom of the form to complete your submission.