ESA Distinguished Achievement Award in Horticultural Entomology
This award honors any entomologist who has contributed to the American horticulture industry. The award consists of $500 and an inscribed plaque. The awardee is presented with the plaque at the ESA Annual Meeting.
Please select below to find out more about the award:
The nominee must have demonstrated excellent performance through innovations that increase the quality and value of plants, improve the productivity and profitability of the nursery and landscape industry, and protect and enhance the environment. Previous recipients of this award or of the Distinguished Achievement Award in Regulatory Entomology are not eligible for future nominations. Nominees must be current ESA members.
Submit a Nominee -
All nomination packages must be submitted electronically to the ESA Distinguished Achievement in Horticultural Entomology Nomination Site according to the following specifications (paper nominations will not be accepted):
- Page Limits – The entire nomination package must not exceed 20 pages total. This include letters of nomination or recommendation and publication lists. This includes anonymous letters of support sent to ESA separately, please factor in these letters into the package length. Packages over 20 pages will not be considered.
Letters of nomination must be included in the electronic package, letter of recommendation may be included in the package or submitted *anonymously via e-mail electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Printed letters will not be accepted.
Only the following file formats will be accepted: PDF (Adobe Portable Document Format), RTF (Rich Text Format), TIF graphic files, or JPG graphic files. Files created on either PC or MAC platforms will be accepted. Please make sure scanned images can be clearly read on a computer screen.
Font size for text may not be smaller than 10 point.
- CV-Related Items - Nominators must provide a CV which includes the below sections. For a full listing of what should be included in each of the sections click here.
- Section 1 - Background Information
- Section 2 - Research
- Section 3 - Teaching
- Section 4 - Extension/Outreach
- Section 5 - Service
- Other Items -
- Description of nominee's professional improvement efforts, work experience, and other professional responsibilities or achievements with emphasis on service to American horticulture
- Three letters of recommendation that evaluate and appraise the nominee's accomplishments*
*Anonymous Letter of Support: Follow the below instructions to submit an anonymous letter.
- Once the award application has been initiated, contact email@example.com with the Award Nomination ID # (found at the top left-hand corner of the nomination submission page), Nominee name and the letter in PDF format.
- Once the letter has been uploaded by the ESA Awards Administrator, the nominator will receive an email notification.
- Please note, ESA is not responsible for individuals that do not contact the awards administration by the deadline date. It is up to the nominator to make sure that the individuals email the letter(s) by the deadline date. If an anonymous letter is not received by the deadline this will impact the score of the nominee.
- Candidate (50 points total)
- Leadership and participation in professional activities (10)
- Honors, awards, achievements and recognition (8)
- Special assignments and committee activities (7)
- Grantsmanship (7)
- Recommendation from colleagues, peer groups, etc. (8)
- Publications (10)
- Program (50 points total)
- Creativity and innovation of program's concept (10)
- Development and educational strategy (10)
- Implementation, including publications (10)
- Diversity of program's delivery (10)
- Evidence of program's impact (10)
Nomination packages must be received by ESA headquarters by June 1. This deadline refers to receipt by the awards administrator of a complete package in a readable format. Therefore, early submission is highly recommended. All nomination packets will not be able to be changed after June 1.
Any candidate nominated, but not selected, may be renominated no more than two times within the two-year period after his/her initial submission. Nomination packages will be retained for two years by the awards administrator. Nominators must send a letter of renomination to the awards administrator by the nomination deadline above. Previously submitted documentation will be used for the evaluation process unless the nominator submits new or updated documents. The renomination e-mail must contain this additional documentation. New or updated documents must follow the electronic submission requirements noted above. Each Branch is limited to one nomination per year.
For questions about this award, please click here.