Student 10-minute Paper Competition Information
Students are eligible for the competition for 12 months after the month of graduation, with current ESA student or student transition membership.
Students cannot enter both the Student 10-minute Paper Competition and the Student Poster Competition. Nor can students enter both the Student 3-minute Presentation Competition and the Student 10-minute Paper Competition. However, a student may enter both the Student 3-minute Presentation Competition and the Student Poster Competition.
Students who submit to compete in the Infographics competition may also submit to compete in any other student competition category.
Students who present ten-minute papers (10-min) in the Student Competition for the President’s Prize will be evaluated in the following areas:
Scientific Content (50%)
- Introduction and background with pertinent literature cited (5 points)
- Objectives or hypotheses clearly stated & concise (10 points)
- Title appropriate for presentation content (5 points)
- Judges will score the title given at the start of the presentation, not what is listed in the program book.
- Materials & methods (study design) clear, concise, and appropriate to the problem (10 points)
- Interpretation of results & analysis clear, concise, and accurate (10 points)
- Significance of results to field of study clearly discussed (10 points)
- Logical order, minimum redundancy (5 points)
- Smooth transitions between presentation sections (5 points)
- Legible with large fonts, color contrast, no conflicting backgrounds (5 points)
- Text with no grammatical errors; not excessively wordy (5 points)
- Appropriate volume and speed of speech; maintain eye contact with audience (10 points)
- Effective use of figures and/or tables (10 points)
- Scoring includes whether axis labels are legible
- Effective use of time (5 points)
- 8 minutes for the presentation; 2 minutes for questions
- Students who run over the alloted time will receive a zero (0) score in this category
- Ability to field questions (5 points)
Each paper is judged independently by three judges selected by the ESA Section Presidents. In the event of a tie, the Student Competition Co-Chairs will confer with the judges to determine the winner.
A Sample 10-min Paper Evaluation Form is available for reference.
Students compete only against the students in their session and not against other students in the same topic area but who were assigned to other sessions. The size of each session is dependent upon the initial number of papers submitted to a specific topic area.
Each presentation is allotted a total of 10 minutes - 8 minutes for the presentation and 2 minutes to address questions from the audience. Moderators are instructed to enforce the time limit and the moderator will stop a presenter who exceeds the time limit of 10 total minutes. In addition, students who run over the allotted time will receive a zero (0) score in the "Effective use of time" category. Please time your presentation accordingly to avoid this embarrassing situation.
For information on presentation uploads, please visit the 10-minute Presenter Information page.
View the presenter tips for engaging all audiences.