Student 10-minute Paper Competition Information
Students are eligible for the competition for 12 months after the month of graduation, with current ESA student or student transition membership.
While all presenters may submit one oral and one poster to the Annual Meeting program, students may only submit one presentation to the student competition.
Students who present ten-minute papers (10-min) in the Student Competition for the President’s Prize will be evaluated in the following areas:
Scientific Content (50%)
- Introduction and background with pertinent literature cited (5 points)
- Objectives or hypotheses clearly stated & concise (10 points)
- Title appropriate for presentation content (5 points)
- Judges will score the title given at the start of the presentation, not what is listed in the online program.
- Materials & methods (study design) clear, concise, and appropriate to the problem (10 points)
- Interpretation of results & analysis clear, concise, and accurate (10 points)
- Significance of results to field of study clearly discussed (10 points)
- Logical order, minimum redundancy (5 points)
- Smooth transitions between presentation slides & sections (5 points)
- Slides are legible with large fonts, color contrast, no conflicting backgrounds (5 points)
- Slides have no grammatical errors and are not excessively wordy (5 points)
- Effective use & description of visuals (i.e. photos, diagrams); do they support the presentation narrative? (5 points)
- Effective use of figures and/or tables (10 points)
- Presenter self-introduction & title slides; provide audience with an intro to the speaker & topic (5 points)
- Appropriate volume & speed of speech; engaging tone (not monotone), clear & audible (5 points)
- Effective use of time; 8-10 minutes in duration with appropriate balance of Introduction, Materials/Methods, Results and Discussion (5 points)
Each paper is judged independently by three judges. In the event of a tie, the Student Competition Co-Chairs will confer to determine the winner.
A Sample 10-min Paper Evaluation Form is available for reference.
Students compete only against the students in their session and not against other students in the same topic area but who were assigned to other sessions. The size of each session is dependent upon the initial number of papers submitted to a specific topic area. Each presentation is allotted a total of 10 minutes.
For information on presentation uploads, please visit the On-Demand Presenter Information page.
View the presenter tips for engaging all audiences.