World of Insects Calendar
Every year, the ESA World of Insects Calendar showcases the stunning beauty of our arthropod peers through striking, world-class photography.
Photographs are selected by the ESA Committee on the World of Insects Calendar and must be of the highest aesthetic and technical quality. A call for photos is announced early in the year for the following year's calendar, which is published each year in November.
Call for Photos: OPEN
Deadline for submissions: May 13, 2019
The photo submission period for the 2020 World of Insects Calendar is currently open. The Entomological Society of America seeks the finest specimens of insect photography for inclusion in the next edition of the World of Insects Calendar. Submissions are now being accepted.
Photographs will be selected by the ESA Committee on the World of Insects Calendar and must be of the highest aesthetic and technical quality. Last year, more than 500 photos were submitted for consideration for the 2019 calendar.
Photo submissions must meet the following criteria to be accepted for judging:
- JPG or PNG format (no more than 3000 pixels wide).
- All photographs must be horizontal and rectangular (vertical or square photos will not be accepted).
- Common or scientific name must be included in each filename.
- Insects and related arthropods (arachnids, myriapods, entognathids) are welcome; however, please note that a maximum of one (1) non-insect image will be chosen for the calendar.
- Photographs of dead insects that are posed or mounted are not allowed.
- A maximum of six (6) photographs may be submitted by a single photographer (more than six submissions will disqualify all of a photographer's entries).
- Submissions must be e-mailed to email@example.com by 11:59 p.m. eastern time (U.S.) on May 13, 2019.
Also, winning photographers will be asked to:
- Write a concise paragraph to accompany the photograph in the calendar on the biology of the species or genus/family.
- Grant ESA permission to publish their photos in the calendar as well as on the ESA website and social media for the purposes of promoting the calendar. In all uses, photographers will be credited by name.
Photos are evaluated by the ESA Committee on the World of Insects Calendar via a blind judging system so that no photographer names or other identifying information is known to the judges. Fourteen (14) images are selected (12 months plus inside front cover and back cover). Judging criteria include composition, color, and clarity, as well as entomological appeal.
Entrants whose photos are selected for the calendar will be notified in July 2019. Photos not selected for the 2020 calendar may be considered for future use on the cover of one of ESA's journals, in which case the photographer would be contacted to request permission for use on the journal cover. (Photographers not interested in having images considered for future ESA journal covers should indicate this preference when submitting photos for the calendar.)
For questions regarding the 2020 World of Insects Calendar call for photos, please contact Joe Rominiecki, ESA manager of communications, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2019 Calendar: Order Your Copy
For the 2019 calendar, more than 500 photo entries were submitted by 120 insect photographers from around the globe. The 2019 cover photo captures a sawfly mother (Pseudoperga sp., Hymenoptera: Pergidae) and her brood of larvae, taken by Nick Monaghan of Montrose, Victoria, Australia.
For bulk orders (5 copies or more), print and mail the 2019 World of Insects Calendar order form [PDF].
You may also call 301-731-4535 to order.
The ESA 2019 World of Insects wall calendar is available on a first-come, first-served basis. There are no returns permitted for the ESA calendar and all sales are final.