Diversity & Inclusion Considerations for Symposium Organizers
- Does your symposium submission represent the diversity of work being done on a topic by speakers of diverse backgrounds?
- Are there individuals from typically underrepresented groups (e.g. early career professionals, non-male, non-Caucasian) who may have been overlooked that you could invite to be a part of your symposium?
- What resources (e.g. documents, webinars, blog posts, etc.) would be helpful to you and others in helping to recruit symposium organizers from underrepresented groups? Please feel free to talk to a D&I committee representative about getting these resources.
- How are you ensuring communications about your symposium are inclusive (e.g., paying attention to the language you are using, including in the solicitations to potential speakers)?
- When moderating your symposium, how will you demonstrate to the audience that everyone should be respected, and that disrespect to any person or group will not be tolerated?
- How are you ensuring that you are treating all speakers in your symposium equally? (e.g., to show respect and make all feel welcome consider asking all the speakers to fill out a card with a phonetic spelling of their name so that when introducing them you do not mispronounce their names)