Minutes of the Pacific Branch 2003 Final Business MeetingMarch 26, Tucson, AZ
Meeting was called to order by President Kurt Volker.
A quorum was declared.
President Volker thanked all the volunteers that serve the Pacific Branch, in particular the Committee Chairs, Symposia Organizers, Secretary/Treasurer Brian Bret, Arrangements/Operations Chair Steve Watkins, and Program Chair David Byrne.
The following nominations for branch officers were approved by the voting members:
2005 President Elect - Victoria Yokoyama
2003-2006 Exec. Board Members-at-Large - Dave Bragg and Pete Goodell
The following resolutions were proposed and approved:
Resolutions of the 87th Annual Meeting Pacific Branch of the Entomological Society of America, Tucson, AZ
1. Whereas: the Pacific Branch of the Entomological Society of America lost through death 4 of its steadfast members since our last annual meeting in 2002;
Be it resolved: that the Secretary be instructed to communicate the heartfelt condolences of the Pacific Branch to the families of our four deceased members.
2. Whereas: the committees of the Pacific Branch admirably carried out their work by organizing an annual meeting that was intellectually stimulating, professionally productive and enjoyable;
Be it resolved: that the Pacific Branch express its thanks to each of the Chairs and all of the members of the 14 committees listed in the 87th Annual Meeting program, and further, that the Pacific Branch especially recognize Arrangements Committee Chair, Steve Watkins, and his four committee assistants, Michael Ronquillo, Aaron Burke, Manda Cattaneo and Jesse Hardin, as well as Program Committee Chair, David Byrne, who tirelessly worked together and organized a most superior annual meeting.
3. Whereas: Washington State University at Prosser hosted and managed the Pacific Branch ESA Website, which provided at no cost to our society a user-friendly site with readily downloadable program abstracts and other important details about our annual meeting;
Be it resolved: that the Pacific Branch express its gratitude to Website and Abstracts Chair, David Allison, for a job done with excellence.
4. Whereas: Brian Bret traveled at his own expense and on his own time so as to carryout the responsibilities of the Pacific Branch ESA Secretary/Treasurer;
Be it resolved: that the members of the Pacific Branch express their appreciation to Brian for dedication to our society that goes well beyond the normal call of duty.
5. Whereas: the management and personnel of the Double Tree at Reid Park enhance our annual meeting through their superior facilities, gracious service and other assistance to our members;
Be it resolved: that the Secretary be instructed to write a letter of thanks to the management of DoubleTree at Reid Park.
6. Whereas: the generous funding and other support provided by the Sustaining Associates of the Pacific Branch of the Entomological Society of America contributed to the success of our 87th annual meeting;
Be it resolved: that the Secretary be instructed to communicate the sincerest gratitude of the Pacific Branch, especially in this time of economic uncertainty, to our 2003 Gold Sustaining Associate, Syngenta, and to our 2003 Silver Sustaining Associate, Bayer.
7. Whereas: The President of the Entomological Society of America, Z B Mayo, dutifully participated in the 87th Annual Meeting of the Pacific Branch;
Be it resolved: that the Pacific Branch conveys its appreciation to President Mayo for the informative reports and other helpful contributions he made at our Executive Committee meeting, business meeting and general program meeting.
Change of Officers
Kurt Volker relinquished the office of President of the Pacific Branch of the Entomological Society of America to Diane Alston.
President Diane Alston accepted the office of president and adjourned the 87th Annual Meeting of the Pacific Branch ESA.