This scholarship honors the memory of Dr. Stephen Garczynski, who had an unmatched passion for mentoring undergraduate students in their research. Steve helped students by serving as a role model with his contagious energy and drive, his ability to teach and convey his scientific knowledge, and by encouraging students to be creative and innovative in their work. The purpose of this merit-based award is to honor students for their accomplishments in research, and to support and encourage them to present their work at a branch or national ESA meeting. The recipient will receive waived registration for the Pacific Branch ESA meeting and $1000 award towards their travel expenses for the Pacific Branch ESA meeting.
The applicant must be an undergraduate student who intends to attend the Pacific Branch meeting. Nominators will be PB-ESA members in good standing.
Applicants will provide the following
- A 2-page, double-spaced write-up outlining their current research and future career aspirations (this can be academic, research-related, etc.)
- One letter of recommendation from their research mentor, professor, employer, or other, similar relations. Please note that there are no transcripts required in the application packet.
- Nomination packages must be submitted online via the award nomination website. (Individuals applying directly would list their name as the nominee and nominator).
Award criteria for this scholarship is split 40/60, the letter of support and the research write-up respectively. The letter of support should demonstrate the research work quality of the student, and reflect their energy, passion, innovation, and initiative reminiscent of Steve. The research write-up will be judged on its relevance to entomology, creativity and originality, and the potential impact of the work being described.
- Letter of Support (40 points total)
- Does the student have energy, passion, innovation, and initiative? (20)
- Research work quality (20)
- Student Write-up (60 points total)
- Relevance to Entomology (20)
- Creativity and originality (20)
- Potential Impact (20)
View the list of individuals who have previously received this award.
Nomination packages must be submitted online via the award nomination website by December 15 annually at 11:59 PM Pacific.