The Pacific Branch of the Entomological Society of America is offering a limited number of travel awards to student members attending this year’s PBESA meeting. These grants will provide up to $500 to help offset travel and attendance costs. Students and/or their advisor are responsible for all remaining costs incurred to attend the meeting. This travel grant program is intended to encourage student involvement in the PBESA annual meeting while they are in the early stage of their career. Therefore, preference will be given to students attending the PBESA meeting for the first time. Application details are listed below.
- Applicant must be a graduate (or undergraduate) student in good standing from an accredited institution within the Pacific Branch with an interest in entomology or a related field and a desire to become a contributing member of the PBESA.
- Applicant must have written support from a faculty member at their current university.
- Award recipients may be asked to work at the meeting in a designated area for part of the meeting. Work responsibilities may include assisting with session operations, supporting the registration desk, poster session set-up or teardown, or other related duties involved in the operations of the PBESA meeting.
- Award recipients will be required to submit original receipts for reimbursement after the meeting.
- Students are encouraged to stay and share a room in the conference-approved hotel.
- Awards will be granted based on combination of merit, need, and availability of funding.
New this year - All applications must be submitted online.
Below is what will be required to provide in the application. Download the list of item required in the application.
- Contact information (mailing address, phone number, email address)
- Address and full name of the institution of graduate/undergraduate studies
- Degree program - Select one (Undergraduate; Master’s degree; Doctoral degree)
- Beginning date of the student’s current degree program
- Anticipated date of graduation
- Current GPA
- Title of presentation planned for Pacific Branch ESA meeting
- Type of presentation - Select one (Oral Presentation; Poster Presentation)
- Presentation session - Select one (Student Competition; Invited Speaker in Symposium; General Session)
- Indicate if you are/will be receiving additional financial support. Please indicate the amount and or items covered by these sources.
- Your Department/University. Amt. $__________
- An Advisor/Major Professor. Amt. $__________
- Other funding sources (Please list). Amt. $_________
- Abstract of presentation (250 words or less).
- A brief description (1 paragraph) of the student’s current research activities
- A brief description (1 paragraph) of the student’s participation on ESA committees or meeting activities
- Include BRIEF letter of support from supporting faculty member (300 words or less)
Complete the application form through the Pacific Branch Student Travel Award application site along with the letter of support from supporting faculty member.
Only the following file formats will be accepted: PDF (Adobe Portable Document Format), RTF (Rich Text Format), TIF graphic files, or JPG graphic files. Files created on either PC or MAC platforms will be accepted. Please make sure scanned images can be clearly read on a computer screen.
Applications must be completed online at the Pacific Branch Student Travel Award application site by December 15 annually at 11:59 PM Pacific.