Systematics, Evolution, and Biodiversity (SysEB) Snodgrass Memorial Research Award
This award from the Systematics, Evolution & Biodiversity Section (SysEB) is named in honor of Dr. Robert E. Snodgrass, a leader in insect morphology. It recognizes outstanding research by a PhD student who has completed a research thesis or dissertation in arthropod morphology, systematics, taxonomy, or evolution. This award consists of a certificate and cash award. The recipient is presented with the award at the SysEB Section meeting during the ESA Annual Meeting.
For questions about this award, please contact the current Past President of the SysEB Section, Andrew Short.
Candidates must be ESA members and must have completed a doctoral research thesis or dissertation in arthropod morphology, systematics, taxonomy, or evolution at a recognized college or university within two calendar years prior to the nomination submission deadline.
Nominations may be made by anyone, although self-nominations are encouraged. Nomination packages must include the following:
- One-page letter of nomination that includes a narrative by the candidate describing eligibility credentials
- Curriculum Vitae
- Excerpts from the student's research thesis or dissertation, along with a scanned copy of the approval page signed by a college official or advisor
- Two confidential letters of recommendation (as a pdf file preferred) from faculty members who can comment critically on the aspects of creativity and innovation of the thesis or dissertation and its overall contribution and impact. These letters as a pdf file should be sent to the current Past President of the SysEB Section, Andrew Short.
Nominees will be judged using the following criteria for a total of 80 points. Applications must score a minimum of 65 points in order to be considered for the award.
- Candidate (40 points total)
- Honors, awards, achievements and recognition (10)
- Recommendations of professors, advisors, etc. (10)
- Grantsmanship (10)
- Publications (10)
- Criteria (40 points total)
- Creativity and innovation of thesis or dissertation (20)
- Contribution to morphology (20)
All nomination packages must be submitted electronically to the Systematics, Evolution, and Biodiversity Award Nomination website according to the following specifications:
- Page Limits – The entire nomination package must not exceed 20 pages total. This include letters of nomination and evaluation, and publication lists but not the work itself. Packages over 20 pages will not be considered. Name the file with the nominees full name in format "last_name, first_name".
- Letters of nomination must be included in the electronic package; letters of recommendation may be included in the package or submitted anonymously via e-mail electronically to email@example.com. Printed letters will not be accepted.
- Only the following file formats will be accepted: PDF (Adobe Portable Document Format), RTF (Rich Text Format), TIF graphic files, or JPG graphic files. Files created on either PC or Mac platforms will be accepted. Please make sure scanned images can be clearly read on a computer screen.
View the list of those who have previously received this award.
Nomination packages must be submitted online via the Systematics, Evolution, and Biodiversity Award Nomination website by June 1. This deadline refers to receipt by the awards administrator of a complete package in a readable format.