Co-sponsored by the Southwestern Branch and Society of Southwestern Entomologists
This award recognizes an outstanding Master’s student in Entomology from the Southwestern Branch, and to stimulate interest in attending the Joint Annual Meeting of the Southwestern Branch (SWB) of the Entomological Society of America and the Society of Southwestern Entomologists (SSWE). The award recipient will be recognized at the Joint Annual Meeting and will receive a $200 cash prize, a certificate, one-year membership in the SSWE, and complementary meeting registration. The Award is co-sponsored by the Southwestern Branch and the Society of Southwestern Entomologists.
Submit a Nomination
- Application for Society membership (student or active in the SWB or SSWE) must have been made prior to January 1 of the year the Award is made. An active member returning for graduate study is not eligible.
- The applicant must be enrolled as a graduate student at least half-time and in a graduate program pursuing a Master’s degree in Entomology or a closely related program where insects are the primary research focus (e.g., biology, ecology, evolution, horticulture) at the time of the presentation of the Award (or be a recent graduate and have completed the degree within the preceding 12 months within the SWB).
- Award recipients are only eligible to win once and cannot apply for this award in a subsequent year.
- Award is presented yearly to an outstanding and well-qualified candidate. However, presentation of the Award is based upon the applicant pool and Award presentation is not a yearly requirement.
Nomination packages should include:
- Statement of nominee’s interests and goals in entomology (strictly limited to two pages double spaced)
- Description of leadership within entomology or the Society, along with current scientific and/or teaching contributions, significant awards, and achievements (strictly limited to two pages double spaced)
- Vitae with:
- Academic credentials (i.e., GPA and/or GRE)
- Abstract of thesis (proposed or completed)
- Awards and achievements
- Publications (limited to published or accepted submissions)
- Other citable professional activities
- List of oral and poster presentations at professional meetings.
- Nomination letter and two additional letters of support from professional references, all-inclusive in one document [PDF]
- Photograph of the nominee (as a digital image file [JPG]) as well as a short bio for the program
Nominees will be judged using the following criteria for a total of 100 points:
- Academics (50 points total)
- Academic record and accomplishments (30)
- Evaluation by faculty members or others (15)
- Contributions and/or service to academic department (5)
- Contributions to ESA (40 points total)
- Volunteer service to the Society (20)
- Participation in branch or national meetings (20)
- Service to the Community (10 points total)
Applications are to be submitted either by the student or (preferably) by the nominating Department Head. Nomination packets are to be submitted online through the Southwestern Branch Awards Nomination website.
View the list of those who previously received this award.
Nomination packages must be submitted online via the award nomination website by Friday, January 13, 2023 at Midnight (EST). This deadline refers to receipt by the Awards Administrator of a complete package in a readable format.