This award honors young professionals working within the field of entomology who have demonstrated innovation through contributions within any area of specialization (research, teaching, extension, product development, public service, etc.).
For questions about this award, email email@example.com
Nomination packages must be received by ESA headquarters by June 1.
The recipient will receive a monetary award of $1,000 and a plaque at the ESA Annual Meeting.
The nominee must be a current ESA member, and must be between two and ten years past the last degree (B.S., M.S. or Ph.D.) obtained working within the field of entomology (including postdoctoral positions). The nominee may belong to any area of entomology, but must be a practicing entomologist. Professionals working within public- or private-sector organizations are eligible.
Nominations can be made by anyone. Please note there is a maximum of two self-nominations allowed per year. All nominators and nominees will be required to sign the professional conduct disclosure form. Nomination packages for this award must include:
1. CV-Related Items - Nominators must provide a CV which includes the below sections. For a full listing of what should be included in each of the sections click here.
- Section 1 - Background Information
- Section 2 - Research
- Section 3 - Teaching and Mentoring
- Section 4 - Extension/ Outreach
- Section 5 - Service
2. Other Items -
- Two letters of nomination/recommendation that evaluate and appraise the nominee's accomplishments and which describe the nature of the innovation and its relevance.
- A brief summary, no longer than two pages single spaced, of the professional’s work to include the area of focus, the innovative approach, the results or outcome, and the significance.
Electronic Submission Requirements
All nomination packages must be submitted electronically according to the following specifications:
- Page Limits – The entire nomination package must not exceed 20 pages total. This include letters of nomination or recommendation and publication lists.
- Only the following file formats will be accepted: PDF, TIF graphic files, or JPG graphic files. Please make sure scanned images can be clearly read on a computer screen.
- Font size for text may not be smaller than 10 point.
- The nomination site requires all documents to be uploaded individually.
Nomination packages must be submitted online via the early career innovation award nomination website
Judging Criteria and Notification
Nominees/candidates will be judged by the Early Career Innovation Award Judging Panel using the following criteria for a total of 100 points:
1. Contributions to the Field of Entomology(90 points total)
- Quality of contributions (e.g., research, teaching, extension, product development, public service, etc…) (20)
- Originality and innovation used to achieve the contributions (25)
- Scope and breadth of relevance of the contributions to science and society (25)
- Evaluation by colleagues, peers, constituents (20)
2. Supporting Information(10 points total)
- Participation and leadership in honor and professional societies (10)”
The awards administrator will notify all candidates and their nominators with the results of their nomination approximately two months after the nomination submission deadline.