NCB Graduate Student Scholarship
This $500 scholarship recognizes graduate student members of the North Central Branch (NCB) of the Entomological Society of America for their course work and research culminating in scholarship. The award recipient will be recognized at the NCB ESA meeting and will receive the cash award at the awards function. The recipient will be recognized in the program booklet. Self-nominations are welcomed.
For more information about this award, please contact the chair of the NCB-ESA Student Awards Committee Chair, Amit Sethi.
Candidates must currently be researching an entomological problem at a recognized graduate institution in the North Central Branch region. Candidates must have an overall graduate grade average equivalent to 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 grading scale, and must be current members of the North Central Branch of the ESA. Self-nominations are permitted.
Nomination packages should include the following:
- Curriculum vitae, which should include: publications (limited to published or in-press submissions only and must provide complete citation); oral and poster presentations for professional meetings; grantsmanship and awards; service, outreach and achievements related to entomology at the nominee’s university, community, or professional society; G.P.A. from both undergraduate and graduate course work as well as brief listing of proficiency and skills within Entomology or in related fields (unlimited length, but be clear and organized);
- A cover letter detailing the nominee's research, including any collaborations, advising or work on interdisciplinary teams. This is an opportunity to connect the nominee’s vitae to the research and interests of the nominee. (strictly limited 2 pages double spaced);
- Letter of support for candidacy from one (1) professional reference, such as the nominee’s PhD or Master’s advisor. Please request e-mail delivery of this letter directly to the chair of the NCB Student Awards Committee Chair. Send either a scanned signed PDF or an unsigned Word document that uses the sender's e-mail to suffice as an endorsement.
- Letter of support for candidacy from one (1) reference who the nominee has had a professional or scientific impact on. This may be a peer, a collaborator, or someone the nominee has advised professionally. Please request e-mail delivery of this letter directly to the chair of the NCB Student Awards Committee Chair. Send either a scanned signed PDF or an unsigned Word document that uses the sender's e-mail to suffice as an endorsement.
- Photograph of the nominee (as a digital image file) suitable for a program booklet.
- A biography suitable for a program booklet of no more than 130 words.
Nominees will be judged using the following criteria for a total of 100 points:
- Research (25 points)
- Papers (number and quality of journals) (10)
- Oral and Poster Presentations (number, national/international, invited) (10)
- Grantsmanship (5)
- Service (25 points)
- University service (teaching beyond TA requirements, committees) (10)
- Outreach activities (participation in extension and outreach) (10)
- Involvement in professional societies (ESA, others) (5)
- Academic performance (25 points)
- Course work (credits and advanced classes) (10)
- GPA (PhD, MS, BS) (10)
- Proficiency in field other than Entomology (other language, other field) (5)
- Application materials (25 points)
- Letters of recommendation (10)
- Personal statement - Description of research (10)
- Collaboration (advising other students, interdisciplinary teams) (5)
With the exception of reference letters, all nomination packages must be submitted electronically according to the following specifications (paper nominations will not be accepted). Nomination packages will be submitted through the SUBMISSION SITE.
- Only the following file formats will be accepted: PDF (Adobe Portable Document Format), RTF (Rich Text Format), TIF graphic files, or JPG graphic files. Files created on either PC or MAC platforms will be accepted. Please make sure scanned images can be clearly read on a computer screen.
- Font size for text may not be smaller than 11 point.
- The maximum upload size is 2 MB per file.
View the list of those who have previously received this award.
Nomination packages must be submitted online via the SUBMISSION SITE by December 15, 2021. This deadline refers to receipt by the awards administrator of a complete package in a readable format.