International Branch John Henry Comstock Graduate Student Award
The John Henry Comstock Award is given to an outstanding advanced graduate student (usually Ph.D. level) from each of the Entomological Society of America's six Branches to promote interest in the science of entomology at the graduate level and to stimulate interest in attending the ESA Annual Meeting. The award includes an all-expense-paid trip to the national meeting a US$500 cash prize, and a certificate that is presented during the ESA Annual Meeting. Reimbursed expenses include airfare (economy), hotel arrangements, meeting registration and a per diem allowance. In addition, the name and a short biography of the winning candidate will be displayed on the website of the International Branch of Entomological
Society of America.
The following guidelines have been established by the ESA-IB:
- Applicants must be enrolled as a graduate student in graduate school at the time of the presentation of the Award (November 2017), or have completed the degree within the last 12 months preceding.
- Students must be pursuing a course leading to a graduate degree with an emphasis in entomology.
- Application for Society membership must have been made prior to May 1 of the year the Award is presented. Members must be affiliated with the International Branch.
- An active member returning for graduate study is not eligible.
- Students may apply to only one of the International Branch Student Awards on a given year.
- Student may apply to only one ESA Branch J. H. Comstock Award on a given year.
- Final scores will be weighted relative to the opportunity of each candidate
Nominations should include:
- Statement of nominee's interests and goals in entomology (strictly limited 2 pages double spaced) including details of originality, difficulty of research and collaborations. If they exist, details of proficiency in fields other than Entomology should also be provided.
- Description of significant awards, scholarships, and achievements (strictly limited 2 page double spaced).
- Curriculum vitae (limited to 2 pages), with:
- A list of research publications (refereed or non-refereed; limited to published or accepted submissions; please provide complete citation)
- A list of oral and poster presentations (professional meetings, seminars, invited presentations, etc.); please provide complete citation.
- Significant awards, grantsmanship including scholarships and other grants, and achievements related to entomology
- Teaching experience (academic, outreach, extension)
- Professional activities (such as committee participation, membership of professional societies, etc.)
- Letter of support for candidacy from two (2) professional references.
- Please request e-mail delivery of this letter (either scanned signed PDF document or an unsigned Word document that uses the sender's e-mail to suffice as an endorsement).
- Photograph of the nominee (as a digital image file but less than <1MB in size).
College transcripts are not required for this award.
Note: Application materials must be submitted in electronic format. Paper nominations will not be accepted. More information than that required will result in disqualification.
Nominations must be received by 10 July 2017 by the ESA Awards Administrator via the International Branch Nomination Website.
Contact the Chair of the International Branch Awards Committee, Robin Gunning with any questions.
Click here to view a list of those who have previously received this award.