International Branch John Henry Comstock Graduate Student Award
The J. H. Comstock Award is given to an outstanding advanced graduate student (usually Ph.D. level) from each of the Entomological Society of America's six Branches to promote interest in the science of entomology at the graduate level and to stimulate interest in attending the ESA Annual Meeting. The award includes an all-expense-paid trip to the national meeting a US$500 cash prize, and a plaque that is presented during the Internatinal Branch Meeting at the ESA Annual Meeting. Expenses paid for the national meeting include reimbursed airfare, free hotel arrangements, free meeting registration, and a per diem allowance. In addition, the name and a short biography of the winning candidate will be displayed on the website of the International Branch of Entomological Society of America (http://www.entsoc.org/international-branch).
- Applicants must be enrolled as a graduate student in graduate school at the time of the presentation of the Award (November 2019), or have completed the degree within the last 12 months preceding.
- Students must be pursuing a course leading to a graduate degree with an emphasis in entomology.
- Application for Society membership must have been made prior to May 1 of the year the Award is presented. Members must be affiliated with the International Branch.
- An active member returning for graduate study is not eligible.
- Students may apply to only one of the International Branch Student Awards on a given year.
- Student may apply to only one ESA Branch J. H. Comstock Award on a given year.
- Final scores will be weighted relative to the opportunity of each candidate
Nomination packages should include the following::
- Statement of nominee's interests and goals in entomology (strictly limited 2 pages double spaced) including details of originality, difficulty of research and collaborations. If they exist, details of proficiency in fields other than Entomology should also be provided.
- Description of significant awards, scholarships, and achievements (strictly limited 2 page double spaced).
- Curriculum vitae (limited to 2 pages), with:
- A list of research publications (refereed or non-refereed; limited to published or accepted submissions; please provide complete citation)
- A list of oral and poster presentations (professional meetings, seminars, invited presentations, etc.); please provide complete citation.
- Significant awards, grantsmanship including scholarships and other grants, and achievements related to entomology
- Teaching experience (academic, outreach, extension)
- Professional activities (such as committee participation, membership of professional societies, etc.)
- Letter of support for candidacy from two (2) professional references.
- Please request e-mail delivery of this letter (either scanned signed PDF document or an unsigned Word document that uses the sender's e-mail to suffice as an endorsement).
- College transcripts are not required for this award.
All nomination packages must be submitted to the International Branch Nomination website according to the following specifications (paper nominations will not be accepted):
- Only the following file formats will be accepted: PDF (Adobe Portable Document Format), RTF (Rich Text Format), TIF graphic files, or JPG graphic files. Files created on either PC or MAC platforms will be accepted. Please make sure scanned images can be clearly read on a computer screen.
- Font size for text may not be smaller than 11 point.
- The maximum upload size is 2 MB per file.
- Nominators are encouraged, though not required, to submit the package as one continuous document rather than as individual files.
Providing more information than that required will result in disqualification.
View the list of those who have previously received this award.
Nomination packages must be submitted online via the International Branch Nomination website by July 1, 2020. This deadline refers to receipt by the Awards Administrator of a complete package in a readable format.
Contact the Chair of the International Branch Awards Committee, Robin Gunning email@example.com with any questions.