Plant-Insect Ecosystems (P-IE) Recognition Award in Entomology
Sponsored by Syngenta Crop Protection
This award recognizes entomologists who are making significant contributions to agriculture. The recipient will receive $1,500 and an inscribed clock that is presented at the P-IE Section Meeting during the ESA Annual Meeting. This award was previously the ESA Recognition Award in Entomology. Starting in 2018 this award requires that you are a P-IE member and it is the P-IE Recognition Award in Entomology.
For questions about this award, please contact the P-IE Awards Committee Chair, Lisa Neven.
The nominee must be a current ESA P-IE member and have contributed significantly to agricultural advancement through work in the field of entomology. This work which is to be recognized by the award must have been done during the preceding five-year period. A nominee of a widely recognized scientific award is not eligible unless the accomplishment cited as the basis for nomination represents new work. Previous recipients of this award are not eligible.
Nominations can be made by anyone. Please note there is a maximum of two self-nominations allowed per year. Nomination packages must include the following:
- CV-Related Items: Nominators must provide a CV which includes the below sections. View a full listing of what should be included in each of the sections listed below.
- Section 1 - Background Information
- Section 2 - Research
- Other Items:
- Letter of nomination describing the work on which the nomination is based
- Three letters of recommendation that evaluate and appraise the nominee's accomplishments, placing special emphasis on the work to be recognized by the award
- Copy of the specific work (NOTE: This award focuses on work done in the preceding five-year period. If list of work causes nomination package to exceed 20 pages, please trim the list accordingly)
Nominees will be judged using the following criteria for a total of 100 points:
- Research Contributions (80 points total)
- Quality of research (25)
- Originality of research (10)
- Quality of publications (10)
- Evaluation by colleagues, peers, constituents (15)
- Impact of research finding(s) on the understanding of the subject (20)
- Supporting Information (20 points total)
- Participation and leadership in honor and professional societies (10)
- Awards, honors, and special recognitions received (10)
All nomination packages must be submitted electronically to the P-IE Award Nomination website according to the following specifications (paper nominations will not be accepted):
- Page Limits – The entire nomination package must not exceed 20 pages total. This include letters of nomination or recommendation and publication lists. This includes anonymous letters of support sent to ESA separately, please factor in these letters into the package length. Packages over 20 pages will not be considered.
- Only the following file formats will be accepted: PDF (Adobe Portable Document Format), RTF (Rich Text Format), TIF graphic files, or JPG graphic files. Files created on either PC or MAC platforms will be accepted. Please make sure scanned images can be clearly read on a computer screen.
- Font size for text may not be smaller than 10 point.
- The nomination site requires a single nomination packet via one PDF file.
Any candidate nominated, but not selected, may be renominated no more than two times within the two-year period after his/her initial submission. Nomination packages will be retained for two years by the awards administrator. Nominators must send a letter of renomination to the awards administrator by the nomination deadline above. Previously submitted documentation will be used for the evaluation process unless the nominator submits new or updated documents. The renomination e-mail must contain this additional documentation. New or updated documents must follow the electronic submission requirements noted above.
View the list of those who have previously received this award.
Nomination packages must be submitted online via the P-IE Awards Nomination website by July 1, 2019. This deadline refers to receipt by the awards administrator of a complete package in a readable format.