ESA Distinguished Achievement Award in Extension
This award recognizes outstanding contributions to extension entomology.
For questions about this award, email email@example.com
Nomination packages must be received by ESA headquarters by June 1.
This award consists of $500 and an inscribed plaque presented at the ESA Annual Meeting.
The nominee must be a current ESA member, and must have demonstrated excellent performance through program creativity, impact, achievement, and delivery. Only nominations from ESA Branches are accepted for the ESA Distinguished Achievement Award in Extension. Each Branch is limited to one nomination per year.
NOTE: Members can only submit in one Branch each year.
All nominators and nominees will be required to sign the professional conduct disclosure form. Nomination packages for this award must include:
1. CV-Related Items - Nominators must provide a CV which includes the below sections. For a full listing of what should be included in each of the sections click here.
- Section 1 - Background Information
- Section 4 - Extension/ Outreach
- Section 5 - Service
2. Other Items-
- Letter of nomination that provides a brief explanation of how the individual excelled in performing his/her duties, including innovations in training, programs, and methods
- Up to three letters of endorsement from professional colleagues and clientele*
Anonymous support letters. Follow the below instructions to submit an anonymous letter. The purpose of a anonymous letter is so that the nominator is not able to see the letter that the individual is providing. If it is okay for the nominator to see the letter, submit the letter directly to the nominator.
- Once the award application has been initiated, contact firstname.lastname@example.org with the Award ID # , nominee name, and the letter in PDF format.
- Once the letter has been uploaded by the ESA Awards Administrator, the nominator will receive an email notification.
- Please note, ESA is not responsible for individuals that do not contact the awards administration by the deadline date. It is up to the nominator to make sure that the individuals email the letter(s) by the deadline date. If an anonymous letter is not received by the deadline, this will impact the score of the nominee. These letters count towards the page count total.
All nomination packages must be submitted electronically according to the following specifications:
- Page Limits – The entire nomination package must not exceed 20 pages total. This include letters of nomination or recommendation and publication lists. This includes anonymous letters of support sent to ESA separately, please factor in these letters into the package length. Packages over 20 pages will not be considered.
- Letters of nomination must be included in the electronic package, letter of recommendation may be included in the package or submitted *anonymously via e-mail electronically to email@example.com. Printed letters will not be accepted.
- Only the following file formats will be accepted: PDF, TIF graphic files, or JPG graphic files. Please make sure scanned images can be clearly read on a computer screen.
- Font size for text may not be smaller than 10 point.
- The nomination site requires a single nomination packet via one PDF file. If you do not have software to merge the documents, please send all of your files to firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Nomination packages must be submitted online via the ESA Distinguished Achievement Award in Extension Website. This method eliminates problems associated with e-mailing large files.
Nominees/candidates will be judged by the ESA Distinguished Achievement Award in Extension Judging Panel using the following criteria for a total of 100 points:
- Professional Background (60 points total)
- Leadership and participation in professional activities (10)
- Honors, awards, achievements, and recognition (7)
- Special assignments and committee activities (10)
- Service outside of extension, including community activities (7)
- Grantsmanship (8)
- Recommendation of colleagues, peer groups, etc. (8)
- Publications (10)
- Program Management (40 points total)
- Creativity and innovation of program's concept (8)
- Development, educational strategy (8)
- Implementation, including publications (8)
- Diversity of program's delivery (8)
- Evidence of program's impact (8)
The awards administrator will notify all candidates and their nominators with the results of their nomination approximately two months after the nomination submission deadline.
Any candidate nominated but not selected may be renominated no more than two times within the two-year period after his or her initial submission. Nomination packages will be retained for two years by the awards administrator. Nominators must send a letter of renomination to the awards administrator by the nomination deadline. Previously submitted documentation will be used for the evaluation process unless the nominator submits new or updated documents. The renomination email must contain this additional documentation. New or updated documents must follow the electronic submission requirements noted above.