ECP Teaching Award
This award is given to a student transition or early professional who excels in entomological education. The recipient will receive complimentary registration to the ESA Annual Meeting, $1,000 cash and an award plaque, and a runner-up will receive acknowledgement for Honorable Mention.
New this year – All nominators and nominees will be required to sign the professional
conduct disclosure form. Click here for additional details.
Please select below to find out more about the award. View the list of frequently asked questions for all ECP Awards.
The nominee must be a current ESA Student Transition or Early Professional (ECP) member, who is no more than five years from earning their terminal degree (B.S., M.S. or Ph.D.) working within the field of entomology. A Student member who has recently graduated in the year of nomination is considered a Student member through the end of the calendar year and therefore does not qualify for this award. The nominee may belong to any area of entomology, but must be practicing entomology.
Submit a Nominee -
All nomination packages must be submitted electronically to the ESA ECP Teaching Award Nomination Site according to the following specifications (paper nominations will not be accepted):
- Letters of nomination must be included in the electronic package, letter of recommendation may be included in the package or submitted *anonymously via e-mail electronically to email@example.com. Printed letters will not be accepted. Letters of recommendation cannot exceed two pages each.
- Only the following file formats will be accepted: PDF (Adobe Portable Document Format), RTF (Rich Text Format), TIF graphic files, or JPG graphic files. Files created on either PC or MAC platforms will be accepted. Please make sure scanned images can be clearly read on a computer screen.
- Font size for text may not be smaller than 10 point.
- The nomination site requires a single nomination packet via one PDF file. If you do not have software to merge the documents, please send all of your files to firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Nomination Requirements -
Nominations can be made by anyone. Please note there is a maximum of two self-nominations allowed per year. Nomination packages for this award must include:
- CV-Related Items - Nominators must provide a CV which includes the below sections. For a full listing of what should be included in each of the sections click here.
- Section 1 - Background Information
- Section 3 - Teaching
- Section 5 - Service
- Other Items -
- A nomination letter describing the work on which the nomination is based
- Teaching statement written by the nominee, no longer than two pages
- Two letters of recommendation that evaluate and appraise the nominee's accomplishments, placing special emphasis on the work to be recognized by the award*
*Anonymous Letter of Support: Follow the below instructions to submit an anonymous letter. This method should only be used if the individual writing the letter does not want the nominator to see the letter.
- Once the award application has been initiated, contact email@example.com with the Award Nomination ID # (found at the top left-hand corner of the nomination submission page), Nominee name and the letter in PDF format.
- Once the letter has been uploaded by the ESA Awards Administrator, the nominator will receive an email notification.
- Please note, ESA is not responsible for individuals that do not contact the awards administration by the deadline date. It is up to the nominator to make sure that the individuals email the letter(s) by the deadline date. If an anonymous letter is not received by the deadline this will impact the score of the nominee.
Evaluation Criteria -
Nominees will be judged using the following criteria for a total of 100 points:
Contributions to the Field of Entomology(90 points total)
- Quality of contributions (25) (e.g. number and type(se) of program(s) or class(es) taught, teaching or extension publications)
- Originality and creativity used to achieve the contributions (25)
- Scope and breadth of relevance of the contributions to science and society (25)
- Letters of support (15)
Supporting Information(10 points total)
Nomination packages must be received by ESA headquarters by June 1. This deadline refers to receipt by the awards administrator of a complete package in a readable format. Therefore, early submission is highly recommended. All nomination packets will not be able to be changed after June 1.
Any candidate nominated, but not selected, may be renominated no more than two times within the two-year period after his/her initial submission. Nomination packages will be retained for two years by the awards administrator. Nominators must send a letter of renomination to the awards administrator by the nomination deadline above. Previously submitted documentation will be used for the evaluation process unless the nominator submits new or updated documents. The renomination e-mail must contain this additional documentation. New or updated documents must follow the electronic submission requirements noted above.
The awards administrator will notify all candidates and their nominators with the results of their nomination approximately two months after the nomination submission deadline.
For questions about this award, please click here.