North Central Branch Photo Salon
Submissions are being solicited for the 59th North Central Insect Photographic Salon sponsored by Projected Image, Digital, PSA Nature Division. Salon showings will take place on July 18, 2019 in Lexington, Kentucky.
- Closing Date: April 24, 2019
- Judging Date: May 8, 2019
- Marks Sent by Email: May 22, 2019
- EDAS Sent by: May 31, 2019
- Awards Mailed: July 24, 2019
- Catalog Posted: July 24, 2019
- Showing Date: July 18, 2019
Entry Fees: The total entry fee is $7.00 (USD) for all entrants, for an entry of 1 to 4 images. Entry fee must be paid in US dollars either by PayPal, check (from a US bank), or by cash. Send payment via PayPal to email@example.com. You do not need to have a PayPal account; you can use a credit card. Make check or money order payable to North Central Insect Salon and mail to the Lexington, Kentucky address below. Entries received without appropriate fee will not be judged, forwarded, or returned. Entrants are limited to a maximum of four (4) digital images.
All nature photographers are invited to submit images of insects and related arthropods. The exhibition is open to anyone; however, an entry may be rejected when the sponsoring organization or its agent, in its reasonable discretion, believes the entry does not conform to the exhibition rules and conditions. Digital images must be of insects and related arthropods.
This Salon is PSA approved and acceptances will count for Who’s Who and Star Ratings. Awards will be given as follows: PSA Gold Medal for Best of Show, PSA Silver Medal for Reserve Champion, PSA Wildlife Medal for Best Wildlife, and the PSA Bronze Medal for Best Small Creature. Other awards include the Creative Camera Club of Lexington award for Best Portrait and the North Central Branch of the Entomological Society of America award for Best by an ESA member. Honorable mention will be awarded to approximately 10% of the accepted images.
The exhibition is open to anyone; however, an entry may be rejected when the sponsoring organization or its agent, in its reasonable discretion, believes the entry does not conform to the exhibition rules and conditions.
An entrant’s images will not be presented to the judges consecutively. An entrant’s four images will be distributed throughout four rounds of judging in that section. Distribution of images shall be in the same round order as submitted by the entrant.An entrant’s images will not be presented to the judges consecutively. An entrant’s four images will be distributed throughout four rounds of judging in that section. Distribution of images shall be in the same round order as submitted by the entrant.
Entries must originate as photographs (image-captures of objects via light sensitivity) made by the entrant on photographic emulsion or acquired digitally. By virtue of submitting an entry, the entrant certifies the work as his own (aliases are not permitted). The entrant permits the sponsors to reproduce all or part of the entered material free of charge for publication and/or display in media related to the exhibition. This may include low resolution posting on a website.
Note: Entrants who indicate that their images may not be reproduced or used “will not be eligible for awards” or inclusion in audio-visuals of the exhibition “and could be subject to disqualification” by the exhibition sponsors.
The exhibition assumes no liability of any misuse of copyright. Images may be altered, either electronically or otherwise, by the maker. Artwork or computer graphics created by the entrant may be incorporated provided the photographic content predominates, subject to Nature, Photo Travel and Photojournalism divisional restrictions. All final work must be on photographic film, or on electronic file, or on photographic or electronic print material, mounting excepted.
No title or identification of the maker shall be visible anywhere on the face of an image, print mat or mount entered in a PSA Recognized exhibition.
Each image must have a unique title. Once an image has been accepted in a PSA Recognized exhibition, that same image, or a like “in camera” or a “reproduction” duplicate of that image:
- May not be entered or re-entered in any section of the same Division Star Ratings class in that exhibition regardless of media, format, or title.
- May not be re-titled for entry in any other PSA Recognized exhibition, including translation into another language.
- Images meeting the Monochrome Definition and non-manipulated color images from the same capture shall be considered the same image and must be given the same title.
- PSA members working on Galaxy and Diamond Star Ratings shall be allowed to continue using different titles of monochrome versions and color versions of the same capture that have already been accepted until the required number of acceptances for those titles have been completed.
Words such as “Untitled” and “No Title” are not acceptable as part or all of an image’s title, nor are camera capture filenames. An image may be entered in only one section where acceptances of that image in multiple sections would be eligible for the same star path.
Target Acceptance Range: 25% to 35%
If at any time, it is determined in the reasonable discretion of the exhibition organizer or the judges before, during, or after the judging of an exhibition that an entrant has submitted entries where one or more images may fail to comply with these Conditions of Entry, including the stated definitions, the exhibition organizers reserve the right to delete the entry from the exhibition and void any or all acceptances or awards in connection with the exhibition. Fees may be forfeited or refunded in these circumstances. The entrant acknowledges that the decision of the exhibition organizers or the judges is final.
In order to ensure that images comply with the Conditions of Entry and definitions, the exhibition organizers may carry out reasonable measures to verify that:
- the images are the original work of the entrant and
- the images comply with the rules and definitions as set out in these Conditions of Entry.
These steps include, but are not limited to, questioning any entrant, requiring the submission of RAW files or other digital files representing the original capture of the submitted image(s), confronting the entrant with evidence that one or more submitted images fails to comply with the Conditions of Entry (also known as Entry Rules), and offering the entrant a reasonable opportunity to provide counter evidence to refute the exhibition organizer’s evidence by a set deadline. Such entries that are not cleared or are still questionable after the entrant has presented evidence may be considered in breach of these Conditions of Entry and declined. Such entries may be referred to PSA for further investigation of possible ethics violations.
PSA retains the right to investigate in any way all complaints/suspicions of breaches of entry conditions, impose sanctions if deemed necessary, void the acceptances of any image found to violate the PSA rules, include the entrant’s name on the list of sanctions provided to Exhibitions, and share such investigations with FIAP. Entrants automatically agree to these terms by the act of entering the Exhibition and agree to cooperate with any investigation.
By entering this exhibition, you are explicitly consenting to the personal details you have supplied, including email addresses, being held, processed and used by the exhibition organizers for purposes associated with this exhibition. You also explicitly consent to such information being sent to organizations that have accorded official recognition, patronage or accreditation to this exhibition. You acknowledge and accept that entering this exhibition means that the status and results of your entry may be made public.
- Categories: This is a PSA Theme Exhibition. Entries must be of insects, other arthropods, or their direct influence.
- Image Entry: Simply e-mail the images and entry form to NCInsectPhotos@gmail.com. Clearly indicate a title for each image (if sending more than one image be sure to indicate which file name goes with each title) and give the Name and Address of the Photographer. Please limit file size to no more that 1MB per image (The file server will not accept e-mails larger than 4MB) – Large files are not needed since the quality of the image will be limited by the capabilities of PowerPoint and standard digital image projection equipment. The maximum pixel size for each image is 1920 for the horizontal and 1080 for the vertical. The projector used for judging will be a ViewSonic PJD7820HD with a native resolution of 1920 pixels x 1080 pixels. All images should be submitted as a jpg files. If any other file type is submitted, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to import them into the PowerPoint program. Entries may not exceed four (4). No digital images shall be returned. Catalogs will available as a PDF @ www.creativecameraclub.org.
- PSA Nature Photography Definition: Nature photography is restricted to the use of the photographic process to depict all branches of natural history, except anthropology and archeology, in such a fashion that a well-informed person will be able to identify the subject material and certify its honest presentation. The story telling value of a photograph must be weighed more than the pictorial quality while maintaining high technical quality. Human elements shall not be present, except where those human elements are integral parts of the nature story such as nature subjects, like barn owls or storks, adapted to an environment modified by humans, or where those human elements are in situations depicting natural forces, like hurricanes or tidal waves. Scientific bands, scientific tags or radio collars on wild animals are permissible. Photographs of human created hybrid plants, cultivated plants, feral animals, domestic animals, or mounted specimens are ineligible, as is any form of manipulation that alters the truth of the photographic statement. No techniques that add, relocate, replace, or remove pictorial elements except by cropping are permitted. Techniques that enhance the presentation of the photograph without changing the nature story or the pictorial content, or without altering the content of the original scene, are permitted including HDR, focus stacking and dodging/burning. Techniques that remove elements added by the camera, such as dust spots, digital noise, and film scratches, are allowed. Stitched images are not permitted. All images must appear natural. Color images can be converted to greyscale monochrome. Infrared images, either direct captures or derivations, are not allowed. Images entered in Nature sections meeting the Nature Photography Definition above can have landscapes, geologic formations, weather phenomena, and extant organisms as the primary subject matter. This includes images taken with the subjects in controlled conditions, such as zoos, game farms, botanical gardens, aquariums and any enclosure where the subjects are totally dependent on man for food.
- Wildlife Award: Images entered in Wildlife sections meeting the Nature Photography Definition above are further defined as one or more extant zoological or botanical organisms free and unrestrained in a natural or adopted habitat. Landscapes, geologic formations, photographs of zoo or game farm animals, or of any extant zoological or botanical species taken under controlled conditions are not eligible in Wildlife sections. Wildlife is not limited to mammals, birds and insects. Marine subjects and botanical subjects (including fungi and algae) taken in the wild are suitable wildlife subjects, as are carcasses of extant species. The entrant should certify eligibility as both meeting the nature and authentic wildlife definitions by making a “W” after the title on the entry form.
- Small Creature Award: To qualify, the actual size of the arthropod must be approximately ½ inch (12.5mm) or less in length. The entrant should certify eligibility by making an “S” after the title on the entry form.
- Best by an ESA Member Award: To qualify, the entrant must be a member of the Entomological Society of America, in any member category. The entrant should certify eligibility by making “ESA” after the title on the entry form.
- Entry Form: An entry form should be filled in and sent by e-mail with the digital images.
- Titles: All Entries must bear numbers and titles to correspond to entry form. Titles will be read, if possible, during judging.
- Exhibit: All accepted entries will be shown in Lexington, Kentucky and at the Entomological Society of America, North Central Branch Meetings on the above dates.
- Eligibility: Images accepted in previous North Central Salons, or so similar to be almost identical, will NOT be accepted. Photographs of obviously dead specimens or obvious artificiality or software manipulation will lead to rejection. Images that are from the same sequence or nearly identical to an entrant’s past award winning images will not be eligible for awards.
Tom Myers, Chairman, N.C. Insect Photo Salon
2252 Bonhaven Road, Lexington, KY 40515
Entry form available at www.creativecameraclub.org or send contact to Chairman
E-mail Digital Entries to: NCInsectPhotos@gmail.com
PayPal payments to: firstname.lastname@example.org