2020 Joint EB & SEB Branch Meeting Call for Symposia
The Joint Program Committee is seeking symposia that are relevant and responsive to current and emerging entomological issues for the 2020 Joint Eastern Branch and Southeastern Branch Meeting. The deadline to submit your proposal is October 31, 2019.
Agricultural IPM topics are always well-represented at both the Eastern and Southeastern Branch Meetings and we are proud of our history of accomplishments in this area. We continue to encourage submissions in this area, while also seeking submissions on new topics.
The theme of this year's meeting is "Diversity & Inclusion". Selection of proposals will be aimed at spanning the range of interests of members from both Branches, including emerging topics in entomology, and representing the geographic and gender diversity of members. We strongly encourage submissions from Early Career Professionals and students! View the recommended considerations compiled by ESA's Diversity & Inclusion Committee.
All symposia ideas are welcome! We encourage members to be creative in developing submissions and offer some suggestions for topics that are less commonly seen at our meetings:
- Digital entomology/big data applications in entomology
- Entomology collections, insect biodiversity, museum data and/or research, systematics, evolution
- Science communication
- Innovations in teaching, extension, and outreach
- Entomological research at 1890 universities
- Vector biology/medical/veterinary/public health/urban entomology
- Plant vector biology/plant pathogen transmission
- Ecology – landscape/farmscape
- Urban/structural entomology
- Aquatic invertebrates
- Pollinator biology
- Molecular biology applications in entomology
- Landscape ecology
- Chemical ecology/plant-insect interactions
We also plan on hosting our recurring annual symposia:
- Turf and ornamentals
- Soybeans/cotton/peanuts (row crop IPM)
- Biological control
- IDEP/invasive species
- Applied entomology & ag-industry
If you would like to discuss a symposium idea prior to submitting a proposal, please contact the Program Chairs, Drs. Babu Srinivasan and Art Agnello.
Symposia Proposal Requirements
Proposals are to be submitted online, and submitters are required to provide:
- Session Title
- Summary Statement of the Goal or Concept, and Objectives
- Brief Symposium Description (50 words or less, required)
- List of several speakers you plan to invite to participate in your symposium
- Comments for Program Organizers (optional)
- Total time required
- Organizer name(s) and contact information
Symposia Proposal Deadlines
The call for symposia will close on October 31, 2019. All successful applications will be confirmed and notified by early December.