Southeastern Branch Recognition Award In Entomology
This award recognizes entomologists who have made or are making significant contributions to agriculture. The award will be presented at the ESA-SEB Annual Meeting. The recipient is expected to be present at this meeting to receive the award.
Previous Winners: View the list of those who have previously received this award.
Eligibility: The nominee must be a current ESA-SEB member and have contributed significantly to agricultural advancement through work in the field of entomology. A recipient of a widely recognized scientific award will not be eligible unless the accomplishment cited as the basis for nomination represents new work. Previous recipients of this award are not eligible. Re-nomination of unsuccessful candidates is encouraged.
Nominations: Nominations for this award may be made by any ESA-SEB member or unit administrator in the SEB region. Members of the Awards Committee are not eligible to nominate candidates or receive this award during their terms.
Award Nomination Information: Nominations must be accompanied by the following information:
- Cover page with the year and name, address, telephone number and email address of nominee
- Letter of nomination
- Academic record, including degrees, dates and institutions
- Brief description of employment and professional experience in entomology
- Statement of entomological accomplishments on which the nomination is based
- Assessment of the nominee's accomplishments emphasizing work during the preceding 10-year period to be recognized by the award
- Professional activities during past 10 years, including professional society offices and memberships
- List of publications and patents during past 10 years
- List of scholarly presentations during past 10 years
- Related information, including awards and other recognition
- Additional supporting information, including no more than three letters of recommendation from professional colleagues
Evaluation Criteria: Nominees/candidates will be judged using the following criteria for a total of 100 points:
1. Research Contributions (80 points total)
- Quality of research (25)
- Originality of research (10)
- Quality of publications (10)
- Evaluation by colleagues, peers, constituents (15)
- Impact of research finding(s) on the understanding of the subject (20)
2. Supporting Information (20 points total)
- Participation and leadership in honor and professional societies (10)
- Awards, honors, and special recognitions received (10)
Deadline for Nomination Submissions: The ESA SEB Members Award Chair must receive nomination packages by Friday January 12, 2018. This deadline refers to receipt by the awards administrator of a complete package in a readable format. Therefore, early submission is highly recommended. All submissions must be placed through the Southeastern Branch Award submission site.
Renomination: Any candidate nominated, but not selected, may be renominated no more than two times within the two-year period after his/her initial submission. Nomination packages will be retained for two years by the awards administrator. Nominators must send a letter of renomination to the awards administrator by the nomination deadline above. Previously submitted documentation will be used for the evaluation process unless the nominator submits new or updated documents. The renomination e-mail must contain this additional documentation. New or updated documents must follow the electronic submission requirements noted above.
Timeline of Notification: The awards administrator will notify all candidates and their nominators with the results of their nomination approximately two months after the nomination submission deadline.
Questions: Email G. David Buntin